International Student Week aims to recognize campus diversity and promote study abroad

Fresno State is gearing up for International Student Week, a series of events aimed at recognizing the campus’ diverse culture and promoting study abroad opportunities.

The weeklong festivities will run from today to Sunday and feature cultural performances, scholarship information and diversity and financing workshops. It will conclude with Fresno State’s 31st annual International Cultural Night at 7 p.m. Sunday in the Satellite Student Union.

Francine Oputa, director of Fresno State’s Central Valley Cultural Heritage Institute, said the week’s events aim to encourage students to celebrate diversity on campus in hopes of fostering growth within the community.

“This is a diverse campus with many different cultures and backgrounds woven into the fabric of our structure, curriculum and lives,” she said. “All cultures should be celebrated every day, regardless of there being a week for designation.”

Organizer Jason Swift, Fresno State’s senior international student adviser, said of the week:

“The [International Student Services and Programs] hopes to let the campus know and get involved with international education. This includes not just visiting students outside the U.S., but also getting Fresno State domestic students to study abroad as well.”

Leon Roy, a senior from Bangladesh majoring in computer science, said he was excited for the week and is happy that students will be able to empathize with new backgrounds.

“As far away from home that I am, I celebrate my heritage every day just as a part of my daily routine, whether it is the type of food I prepare, prayer or just my overall outlook on life. However, I also have adopted certain American customs, as well.

“I hope that naturalized citizens will attend events this week and hopefully adopt some of my values and realize we as people can appreciate everything and everyone.”

Swift said there are several ways U.S. citizens can help positively impact an international student’s transition into American life, as they deal with differences in food, language, culture and academic systems.

“Their family and friends are very far away. So support systems are harder and that is why our office tries to help the best we can,” he said. “Something apparently simple as getting a cell phone, driver’s license, bank account, apartment, job and additional day-to-day duties become cumbersome when not knowing the language so well and the different rules, regulations and requirements they are used to.

“Non-international students can help by understanding these challenges, offering assistance and listening. In the U.S., our friendship relationship is even different. They may tend to have a few close-knit groups, where we may have many acquaintances-type friends.”

Ashley Maldonado, a sophomore from Sacramento majoring in biology, said she plans to attend a few of the cultural events on campus.

“Even though I am Mexican-American and feel like we are equally represented here on campus, there are other cultures that I honestly am not familiar with,” she said. “As a college student, I love to learn and study new things, including cultures, and, hopefully, I can accomplish that by participating this week.”

For a full schedule of events, visit www.fresnostate.edu/issp.