File+Photo
MCT
File Photo

Enough is enough; no more group projects

College is full of challenges meant to test and prepare students for the real world. Some tasks can be intense or overwhelming due to the sheer volume of content that’s due for a class. Other assignments are full of tedious research or repetitive memorization. However, no project is the bane of a student’s existence quite like the group project.

The group project is vile and is more suited for high school students. It’s sole educational purpose is to force students to be social with each other and develop team-building and oral presentation skills.

The furthest that group projects should have ever gone in college is general education classes where students are still deciding what to major in. This is sadly not the case; the group projects did not stop there. Upper-division courses have succumbed to the awful, unending group-project machine.

When in upper division, it can be assumed that all students know what they’re doing and know what they want to be when they grow up.

The usefulness, if any, of group projects has gone out the window and only serves to haunt students who are desperately looking to graduate.

In almost every major, the real world doesn’t mean group work. So what does this tell us? It tells us that the intent of group projects was never to help students learn team-building skills, but rather it was an easy direction for instructors to take their classes so they can grade six projects instead of 30.

It makes sense, really. I can’t imagine it’s easy being a teacher, so it’s understandable that instructors do whatever they can to lessen the load on themselves.

Meanwhile, instructors are forcing students who don’t work well together and who aren’t oriented to each other to struggle for an extended period of time while learning little to nothing in the process.

Students learn much less in group projects than in any other project type. Most groups of students divvy up work so that each student only learns one-sixth of the overall material in the project.

Some instructors might even have the audacity to say that the group assignment will be “fun,” but no one is fooled.

Instructors try to keep positive about the group project that’s the crux of their classes, but when they bring it up on the first day, it can mean the difference between a student staying in or dropping a class.

While instructors pretend students will learn every aspect in the large project, the lives of college students are already so hectic that they can’t possibly take in every aspect of a project so large. So, it makes practical sense to split up the work and never learn anything about what your group partners are doing.

On top of the nightmare that is the group project, what often happens is that some members of groups fail to contribute in any meaningful way.

Even though instructors often grade on the individual effort, it still adds undue stress onto an already-stressed college student that he or she doesn’t need.

When a student flakes out, which always happens, the student who is forced to bend over backward to carry the group to a passing grade is usually the one who was going to be the most successful in the first place. Now, those students have the burden of doing added work so they don’t have to risk other students falling through, jeopardizing their crucial grade.

It’s much easier for instructors to gauge how much a student contributed, but the group is still also graded on the final product.

So now students who already have a lot on their plate get to go home and enjoy throwing up over the stress. Thanks instructors!

The fact that instructors bother to grade students individually proves that they know how group projects really work, but don’t care.

Perhaps it’s because the terrible assignments were forced on them in college, and they’ve failed to break the cycle that prevents incredible amounts of stress and any meaningful learning.

$100
$500

$100
$500

John VangNov 14, 2014 at 10:12 am

Obviously, you do not have work experience in the real world.

asdfdasJun 2, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Idiot… in the real world, if you are good, you will be rewarded regardless of your team. Happens all the time when a department is eliminated or reduced. Even if your company goes under, if you are really skilled it will show in your portfolio or interview (especially in a tech or science job). The best workers always do well no matter how their group does. Everyone else is fired. There is no such thing as a group grade in the real world and in the real world you get to choose whether or not you wish to do the work to being with. If you know your group sucks and they will never be able to do the job you can always start looking for another and walk out the instant you have one. Cant do that in school and in school you are the one paying the teacher to grade you on YOUR knowledge of a subject. They are supposed to go the extra mile to figure out your skill level else not get paid but that is not how it works right now. None of your knowledge depends on what your neighbor knows and you should never be graded in a class as such.

Dont speak of the real world unless you are skilled and worked in the real world. Even in group work at the professional level each person does their own tasks and the bosses know who did what and who failed. You definitely dont need to cover for coworkers in the real world nor should you expect others to cover for you. Welcome to the real world where you succeed if you are good and you fail if you suck (even if your group does well unless you are born into the privileged class).