3 out of 6 propositions pass

California residents voted on several propositions Tuesday night that will affect various aspects of local communities and statewide policies.

One of the more contentious and closer races, Proposition 47, which would reduce certain drug and nonviolent felony charges to misdemeanors, was close throughout the night and appeared poised to pass. The yes vote had amassed 58.1 percent of the vote by midnight.

“California is a failed experiment, when it comes to being hard on crime,” said Dale White, sentencing consultant at Assessment, Training, and Research Associates based in Fresno.

White says Prop 47 is the alternative solution for handling crime in California and will help residents who get out of prison looking for employment and technical positions.

Proposition 1, which also appeared to be on track to pass, will allocate $7 billion in water infrastructure, aid and resources, as well as refilling aquifers in the state. As of midnight, 67 percent had voted yes on the proposition.

Proposition 2, which is often called the “rainy day” fund proposition, would allocate an additional 5 percent of resources to the state General Fund (making it 10 percent). It also appeared to pass, having secured 69.3 percent yes votes as of midnight.

A bill that will directly affect the Central Valley is Proposition 48, a veto referendum, which will determine whether the North Fork tribe would be able to build a casino in the Central Valley. As of midnight, 60.3 percent voted no on allowing a casino to be built.

Two other propositions that do not appear to pass, propositions 45 and 46, were set to make some changes in the medical and insurance industries. Proposition 45 would have required health care rates to be approved by the California Insurance Commissioner and also prohibit business with a large pool of employees from having a health plan. As of midnight, it had only 39.8 percent voting yes.

Proposition 46, the Medical Malpractice Lawsuits Cap and Drug Testing of Doctors Initiative, would increase the cap of damages that parties could receive in malpractice suits from $250,000 to $1 million. Additionally, it would of required drug and alcohol testing of doctors. Results showed only 32.5 percent voting yes as of midnight.