Students walk through the Free Speech Area in front of The Bucket Grill & Pub in between classes on Aug. 21, 2014. (Darlene Wendels/The Collegian)

The Bucket: 4 hours isn’t enough

There is a place on campus where you can get hamburgers, sandwiches, chicken wraps, salads, pizza and beer all in one place. Unfortunately, the place is only open Monday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., and 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Fridays.

The Bucket Grill & Pub is always full with students who are getting food and beer on their lunch breaks. The problem is the limited hours of operation also limit which students can go.

There are, of course, other food options on campus for students. But why is The Bucket open for such a short period?

Why aren’t we allowed to get a burger in the morning or a beer in the evening if we so choose?

Sure, there are places just off campus to get burgers and beer, but The Bucket’s limited hours just don’t make sense.

In years past, The Bucket was open until late at night. What’s changed?

There is literally a bar in front of the keg taps which could have bar stools for patrons. The Bucket was clearly designed as a bar but it’s trying its hardest not to be one.

Perhaps drinking beer became an issue, but that’s why real bars monitor how much people are drinking and cut them off if needed.

Maybe the issue is the fact that University High School is right on our campus, but the hours of operation now include the time when its when students are on lunch. It’s not like the high school students would be allowed to drink.

It’s possible the concern is that students and professors will have too large of a window to get drunk on campus.

But the time frame already allots plenty of time for people to get drunk. It’s not like students are going to hang out inside for nine hours.

If The Bucket was open all day, it would be much more profitable. It would be able to serve a student population that isn’t on campus during the lunchtime rush.

The Bucket could employ full-time staffers who don’t bounce around to the other eateries on campus. The staff would become a fixture and people would get to know them.

It would give The Bucket the opportunity to become a more hip place to go. Right now, it feels more like a cafeteria than a pub.

With the increased foot traffic, there would be money to include a breakfast menu as well as an increased beer selection that includes rotating seasonal brews. Plus, The Bucket’s increased revenue would pay its staffing budget.

The Residential Dining Hall closes at 8 p.m., if The Bucket stayed open until midnight or later, that would give it the opportunity to be the go-to food and drink place on campus after hours for students living in the dorms.

Personally, I only see positives with expanding the hours of The Bucket. It would benefit both us and them.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• O

olagistFeb 18, 2018 at 11:35 pm

very delightful and amazing as well

Cody Charles JaykayOct 14, 2017 at 12:45 am

nice article check out http://naijanote.com

Cody Charles JaykayOct 14, 2017 at 12:41 am

One of the purposes of this website is to teach people about nigeria site and to help them get their website to rank higher for their targeted keywords.

BooksPEN.ComOct 4, 2017 at 9:44 am

• G

G'Mane Andre LyonMay 29, 2017 at 8:57 am

nice thread, keep it up guys

Mp3 Download

• I

iBlog101May 7, 2017 at 3:29 pm

• U

UchsonApr 22, 2017 at 9:01 am

Nice post, Thanks for this amazing update. mp3 download the info on my drive

• U

UchsonApr 7, 2017 at 4:13 pm

Nice post from you guys mhen!!! I love this website for real.
    http://www.hiphopdx.net/b-o-b-release-new-album-ether-shares-cover-art-release-date/

• K

Kayseekells Mp3joints.comMar 12, 2017 at 1:21 am

MP3BASEMar 1, 2017 at 11:59 pm

Check Out This Great News
    mp3base.co/the-underachievers-cobra-clutch/

MP3BASEMar 1, 2017 at 11:57 pm

wow, i love this post great post
    http://mp3base.co/

• 2

247MusicMar 14, 2017 at 11:43 pm

• O

Obaoye Adekunle JohnFeb 22, 2017 at 4:45 am

• O

bookspen.com news deskSep 22, 2016 at 3:01 am

Advance from Yves V & Sem Thomasson ”“ On Top Of The World Ft Ruby Prophet The Weeknd ”“ Starboy Ft Daft Punk Album: Led Zeppelin ”“ The Complete BBC Sessions

• N

NaijajointzMay 14, 2016 at 9:05 pm

get latest episodes on Empire before dropping date, visit http://www.naijajointz.co

• N

NaijajointzMay 14, 2016 at 9:04 pm

Get latest news updates, visit http://www.naijajointz.co

BabshaybellDec 16, 2014 at 4:04 am

Great stuff Here…. Actually agree with What Dan said below…

Here are my two blogs >> HERE are my two blogs Blogging Tips & Nicki Minaj Only Download

Dan WaterhouseOct 29, 2014 at 7:37 am

Troy, the Bucket was originally built in the 1970s in order that dorm residents did not need to go off campus to have a beer or two. The proposal came on the heels of three alcohol-related deaths of Fresno State students in 1976 and 1977 near campus. Getting the pub open was held up for several years due to the refusal of a member of the CSU, Fresno Association board to be fingerprinted for the liquor license.

Once it opened in the early 1980s on the west side of UCenter, it was open from 11am to 11pm or midnight Monday through Thursday and until 5pm on Fridays. And it was packed all the time. It hosted dances and campus music groups in the evenings. The staff became familiar faces to the regulars (I was one from the time it first opened until 1989) and the regulars to the staff.

Along with the fun stuff came some problems. Fights at the dances. A fatal car crash on campus involving two underaged girls who the doorman had allowed in. Alcohol-fueled nudity or weinie-waving during Vintage Days.

When Dr Welty arrived on campus and instituted his version of near-Prohibition, the Bucket’s days were numbered. The hours were slashed and the pub concept was totally de-emphasized. It became a “Coffeehouse.”

Personally I spent many pleasant hours in the old Bucket studying, and drinking. I’d love to see expanded hours-and perhaps the Bulldog Beat or jazz-return.