Fresno State forward Peyton Cline controls the ball during the Bulldogs’ loss to the Sacramento State Hornets Sept. 21. The Bulldogs beat UNLV and Nevada for their first conference wins of the season last weekend. Photo by Khlarissa Agee/The Collegian

Soccer: ‘Dogs go undefeated during Nevada trip

The Fresno State women’s soccer team’s trip to Nevada ended in wins to both UNLV and Nevada over the weekend.

On Friday, the Bulldogs went to the Peter Johann Memorial Field in Las Vegas and shut out the Rebels for their first Mountain West victory of the season. An own goal by UNLV in the first half gave Fresno State the 1-0 lead that snapped its losing streak.

“We put together 90 minutes of unselfish play tonight,” said Fresno State coach Brian Zwaschka. “We are thrilled with our first conference win and our first shutout. They were a very good team and were quite dangerous throughout the match, but our resolve showed tonight. I am proud of everyone.”

Goalkeeper Domenique Banta made her sixth start of the season and recorded three saves. She has played a total of 514 minutes.

On Sunday, the Bulldogs and Wolf Pack went to extra time, as both teams were knotted at 2 at the end of regulation.

Nevada began the scoring when Madison Lorenzen kicked in her first goal of the season 7:56 into the match. Fresno State tied the contest a little over nine minutes later when Jaycee Bingham tallied her seventh score of the year.

Seconds after, Lindsey Salcido’s header gave the Wolf Pack the 2-1 lead, which was the score at the half.

The second stanza saw only one score — a Jaycee Bingham header for her second of the game — that tied the contest.

The first overtime saw back-and-forth soccer that ended in zeroes on the scoreboard, as both teams failed to find the net. Fresno State had two shots on goal by Maria Gomez and Alyssa Cruz.

Only 2:53 were needed in the second overtime until Sara Jo Ciapponi took an Ariana Holmes offering and scored her first goal of the year to end the contest and give Fresno State its second conference victory.

The Bulldogs (3-10, 2-2 Mountain West) will visit the Boise State Broncos (4-6-3, 1-3 MW) on Friday.