Movie Review: Brad Pitt brings ‘Fury’ with Nazis, again

Wardaddy (Brad Pitt) and other soldiers in Columbia Pictures' 'Fury.'  Giles Keyle / Tribune News Service
Wardaddy (Brad Pitt) and other soldiers in Columbia Pictures’ ‘Fury.’
Giles Keyle / Tribune News Service

Another World War II film is upon us and once again it stars Brad Pitt. What, did you not watch “Inglourious Basterds”? Do so now.

The fictitious story brings us Pitt as Don “Wardaddy” Collier, an experienced, hardened but passionate U.S. Army sergeant in charge of the Fury, a Sherman tank and its five-man crew fending off the last of Nazi Germany’s attacks on the eastern front. Although outnumbered and isolated from any other Americans, the men face a heroic mission deep behind enemy lines.

The crew has had a number of years with Wardaddy fighting the Germans together and, despite the dangerous, unnerving battles they go through, this war is as sad but hopeful as their mantra, “Best job I ever had.”

Gunner Boyd “Bible” Swan (an impressive Shia LaBeouf), loader Grady “Coon-Ass” Travis (Jon Bernthal) and driver Trini “Gordo” Garcia (Michael Pena) fight, kill and laugh together in their tough situation. From the beginning of the film to the end, the actors in their small, working space inside of a tank provide the audience with a glimpse of how flawed these characters have come to be.

Their morals on murder and war are revisited when innocent rookie Norman Ellison (Logan Lerman) joins the tough group. Ellison holds a moral mirror up to the crew, but as events unfold the crew in turn cracks the mirror as Ellison gains perspective of what war is capable of doing to men and hardens as a result himself.

Writer and director David Ayer (“End of Watch”) is able to give the viewer the abrupt, direct effects of war instead of a glossy, stylized one””this is no “Pearl Harbor.” Ayer’s intense immediacy to the men’s characters and their feelings in life and combat is a tough directing feat to accomplish without being over dramatized.

Pitt, who is able to bring a wave of emotions to a tremendous role, is in acting heaven with the other four.

Lerman demonstrates his abilities outside of the “Percy Jackson” films with an unyielding portrayal of vulnerability and innocence.

Bernthal makes a mark for the audience to feel sympathetic to his damaged, angered and rightly so “Coon-Ass.”

Pena is dependable for a light-hearted, drunken “Gordo,” who Spanish-speaking audiences will love even more when he cracks Spanish filled jokes and phrases. Sorry, but no subtitles are provided when he does.

And LaBeouf will surely surprise those who haven’t seen him outside of tabloid headlines.

Your mission? Join Pitt and the others with the “best job they ever had.”

$100
$500

$100
$500

• I

IT 2 IT too ITOct 20, 2014 at 5:20 am

GQ does world war II —–yet AGAIN?

PITT doing the very SAME flick he did —LAST year?

HUH???

MEANWHILE, franchise slum Hollywood continues to ‘mysteriously overlook’
    some 5 decades of milestone anniversaries for the now 21st century DEFINING
    ——————————————KOREAN WAR———————————————-

BEWARE!