Legendary fashion designer Oscar de la Renta dies

Carl Juste Ӣ Miami Herald / Tribune News Service Oscar de la Renta makes a personal appearance at his new store in Bal Harbour, Florida, on January 27, 2005.
Carl Juste Ӣ Miami Herald / Tribune News Service
Oscar de la Renta makes a personal appearance at his new store in Bal Harbour, Florida, on January 27, 2005.

Famed fashion designer Oscar de la Renta died Monday at 82 years old. De la Renta had a long battle with gastric cancer dating back to 2006, when his ailment was first reported.

On Oct. 16, de la Renta named Peter Copping the new creative director for de la Renta’s fashion house. Copping, like de la Renta, trained with the Balenciaga brand in the beginning of his career, was chosen for his similar feminine, romantic style and taste.

De la Renta, rose to fame among fashion critics after his career began nearly 50 years ago. His career soon took off after dressing first lady Jacqueline Kennedy and continuing to dress every first lady in office since. Hillary Clinton graced the cover of Vogue in 1998 with a de la Renta creation, marking the first time a first lady was featured on the cover of the magazine.

His designs have also been a staple on the red carpet—famously worn by fashionista and actress Sarah Jessica Parker on “Sex and The City,” and her black-and-white gown at the 2014 Met Ball was among the best-dressed list for fashion critics. He recently designed Amal Clooney’s wedding dress for her high-profile marriage to Oscar winner George Clooney.

De La Renta leaves behind his adopted son, Moises, who also designs for the company, along with his wife Annette.