‘Junk Days’ brings antique admirers to Old Town Clovis

Antiques and collectibles were spread across Pollasky Avenue Sunday for the twice-a-year event “Glorious Junk Days” in Old Town Clovis.

Glorious Junk Days brings over 150 vendors displaying vintage clothing, collectible cards, comics and antique furniture. Many of the antique shops in Old Town placed their merchandise curbside for onlookers and potential buyers.

“I loved seeing all of the timeless American treasures,” said Chelsea Russell, a first time attendee. “[It’s] very neat seeing lots of friendly faces with unique trinkets and chotchkies.”

“I’m sad I haven’t experienced it before, since I’ve been in a refurbish funky-furniture mode,” she added.

Wit’s End Vintage, a local shop ran by Dan and Sheila Hollender, had persian rugs, vintage glassware and even antique travel gear for sale.

“The funnest part about Glorious Junk Days is it gives many other people that sell at venues an opportunity to show their wares,” said Sheila Hollender, co-owner of Wit’s End Vintage. “Its cheeky items that are made, its things that are upcycled and repurposed, lots of furniture that has been made into something new and you get a lot of reclaimed items.”

Besides local vendors, there were many antique sellers from around California.

Rich and Joan Rogers from Sutter Creek, create and sell Owbots, which they define as “unique, custom-made from found objects.” Their Owbots range in size and are made from an amalgamation of found metal objects from around their house. Rich Rogers said he has been doing this for over a year now.

“I started out making real big ones. I have a Statue of Liberty that’s 10-feet tall, and full-sized [Harley-Davidson] riders. Then we decided to make small ones, and this is what resulted,” said he said.

In addition to the vendors, the Business Organization of Old Town Clovis (BOOT) had a live appraiser for participants’ items to assess their value.

Hollender says that unlike other antique showcases, Glorious Junk Days has an emphasis on community and inclusion.

“It gives everyone an opportunity to come together and be out in the community and show everyone all of their work,” said Sheila Hollender. “It invites people to come out and sell. It invites people to come out and shop, and it really makes for an interesting day out in Old Town.”