Football: ‘Dogs lose in Vegas, break win streak

The last time the Fresno State football team was at Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas, four days before Christmas 2013, the Bulldogs lost to the USC Trojans, 45-20.

On Friday, the Bulldogs returned to Las Vegas and went to the wire with the UNLV Rebels — but ultimately, UNLV kicker Nicolai Bornand’s 46-yard field goal in overtime snapped Fresno State’s three-game win streak.

The 30-27 decision gave the Bulldogs their first Mountain West loss of the season.

The game-clinching kick came after Fresno State failed to score on its sole overtime possession and after another UNLV kicker, Jonathan Leyva, had an opportunity to win the game in regulation — but missed from 26 yards out.

“We knew this was a dangerous team all week,” Fresno State head coach Tim DeRuyter said. “But give [the Rebels] credit, they found ways to win. We had way too many self-inflicted wounds. They out coached us and out played us.”

UNLV had a fast start to the game. A 33-yard field goal from Leyva and touchdowns from running back Shaquille Murray-Lawrence and wideout Devonte Boyd gave them the three-score advantage at halftime.

Down 17-0, DeRuyter’s squad scored on its opening possession of the second half. The ‘Dogs’ drive, which was only five plays and 1:15, ended when freshman tight end Chad Olsen got behind the secondary for a 29-yard touchdown catch from quarterback Brian Burrell.

Fresno State found the end zone again with just under a minute left in the third quarter, when senior wide receiver Josh Harper’s 27-yard scoring grab cut UNLV’s lead to three.

“You never like losing, especially when it is in conference,” Harper said. “So this doesn’t feel good at all. We have to get back on Sunday, get ready for next week and try to win from here on out.

“We got to keep our heads up. Conference is still ahead of us, it’s only one loss. We took one loss the past two years and still won it, so it is not the end of the world.”

Toward the end of regulation, Bulldogs’ running back Marteze Waller rushed in the go-ahead touchdown. The big play from Waller put the ‘Dogs up 27-24. Kicker Kody Kroening missed the point-after attempt, however.

Waller accumulated 137 rushing yards on 17 carries and one touchdown.

Burrell completed 25 of 44 passes for 310 yards and three touchdowns.

Harper led all receivers with 12 receptions for a game-high 187 yards and a score. Olsen’s night included four grabs for 55 yards and two touchdowns.

UNLV quarterback Blake Decker was 29-of-40 for 332 yards and two scores.

“We have to come back as a staff and find out who can get things done for us,” DeRuyter said. “We have to make some changes, and it’s going to be coaching and players. It is not acceptable, and we are going to get it fixed.”