MCT
World map with icons showing the significant effects of climate change, according to a new U.N. report.

Climate change affects us all

Global climate change is melting the ice caps, threatening species with extinction and dramatically altering the seasons. This is terrible; it’s 90 degrees in October. What does this mean for us? The most important result is we’re losing the cold-weather beer season.

It’s autumn. The temperature is supposed to drop, and we’re supposed to make the switch to darker beers. The shelves are packed with unopened dark delights. Stouts, both coffee and chocolate, and porters, both pumpkin and vanilla.

In Fresno, we suffer from the lack of seasons. Summer consumes us most of the year, with the other season maintaining a minor footnote.

For us, summer stretches from February to November. The so-called spring season immediately ramps up temperatures from the 60s and 70s, right to the 90s.

Fall used to begin in September, but now in October, we’re still teetering in the high 80s to mid 90s.

For the science deniers who live in cold climates, they need to move to Fresno or to some other blighted city, so they can come to grips with the reality of climate change.

We’re getting to the point at which we’ll begin to tell our children about the legend of rain. We’ll draw antiquated maps circa “Water World” to where this mythical water is said to fall from the sky.

Sitting on the back porch, drinking an ice-cold stout and watching the rain fall has become a thing of the past. The gray skies have disappeared and been replaced with constant clear skies.

The best way to enjoy these beers is not on a hot day. The only way to fake it is to shut the blinds and crank up the air conditioner.

North Coast Brewing Company has a delightful little stout called Old Rasputin. This immensely popular brew is sweet enough for people weary of beer, and strong and complex enough for beer enthusiasts. It’s 9 percent alcohol by volume and tastes like a chocolate-covered espresso bean. It pours really dark, and you’ll feel good about it whether you’re a fanboy of beer or not.

There are so many delicious beers to enjoy this time of year, but the weather hasn’t caught up. So everyone do a rain dance and hope for the best.

For now, warm-weather beers are always available. You can get your IPAs, lagers and ales and sit in the heat under your umbrella avoiding skin cancer.

I’ll soon be curled up in front of my fireplace screen saver, enjoying some Fireside Chats from 21st Amendment, pretending that skies are overcast by clouds and there’s a cold wind blowing outside.

We need to do something about climate change. Please, think of the beer.­ ­

$100
$500

$100
$500

Joshua LuzaniaOct 11, 2014 at 11:16 am

Does the comment section work now?