Darlene Wendels / The Collegian

Chukchansi course at Fresno State an effort toward preserving language

Darlene Wendels / The Collegian
Darlene Wendels / The Collegian

When you have less than a dozen people speaking your language, who will tell your story when you’re gone?

The American Indian Language Course hopes to preserve a local language with their six-week course that started Tuesday night. It aims to teach students about the Chukchansi language and is free to all.

Shonna Alexander, one of the instructors teaching the Chukchansi language course, said that although learning a new language may seem hard, they start simple and with the basics.

“The outline for the class will consist of beginning lessons, vowel and consonant pronunciation, short stories with different nouns and verbs,” Alexander said.

The first day was spent on understanding the vowel usage, which is different from English, and beginning to phrase simple sentences to be able to communicate.

Alexander, a student at Fresno City College, is a Chukchansi tribe member and works with tribe elders in learning traditional crafts of their culture and their dying language.

The class initially started at the tribal offices of the Picayune Rancheria of the Chukchansi Indians, but since 2009 the tribe and Fresno State have formed a collaborative initiative, said linguistics professor Chris Golston.

“It’s a labor of love for us all, an incredible chance to work with a rare and complex language that teaches us new things all the time,” Golston said.

“The tribe made a gift of $1 million to the linguistics department in 2001 to fund five years of research on the language and help with documenting and revitalizing it,” said Golston. “So we’ve been running language classes with the tribe for five years or so, helping them with what they began.”

Classes like the American Indian Language course will help counter the growing concern of languages becoming extinct. ­According to SIL International, an organization that monitors global languages, there are 473 endangered languages currently in the world.

“One of my biggest goals is to help teach our young ones and to keep the language alive forever,” Alexander said.

In the United States, which has 227 individual languages, 141 are in state of dying, according SIL International. The report also states that 12 are already extinct, and 61 are at risk of dying.

Currently, the Chukchansi dialect, which is part of the Yokuts Language group, ­is one of those endangered languages, with only 10 active speakers left. Golston said there were limited resources on how to teach the language, and so teaching how to speak and listen is the goal of reading stories written in the native tongue.

“Some of these stories were told 50 years ago in English and we’re translating them back into Chukchansi and using them in the class,” Golston said.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• G

Gordon BussellOct 9, 2014 at 6:27 pm

i think this is a big step when you get yokuts of the other dialects involved in this revival path. i personally speak Hupa ( a northern calif De:ne Language )and have been learning the other related dialects here in northern calif. so i am becoming a speaker of those languages as well as Hupa and i am helping revive and preserve their languages as well my own.. in the chuckchansi case with Wukchumni , Choinumni and Yolumni speakers leaning chuckchansi is part of the solution to revival and preservation as i see it. in the picture you have a wukchumni person Darlene who can speak a decent portion of her language and i know this since i was involved with the Wukchumni community and its language efforts for a period of years, i think that person and others like her should learn to speak chuckchansi fairly fast compared to others who are true beginners in that language. all i can say is Hilli hilli for really knowing chuckchansi as a greeting, ha ha but i have been introduced to the other dialects mostly wukchumni and some yolumni as well. i know a long time ago each dialect understood the other and in many cases could speak the other dialects. have a good day. this is my opinion. i have worked with a number of linguists on my dads language of hupa but i find it is better to become a speaker first to really know the language . ha ha yea sometimes is teach the linguists something they didnt know on my dads language. also sometimes they teach me as well.