Brew Review: Stouts are in season

As the temperature begins to fall, it brings relief to those in Fresno who suffer heat 6 to 9 months out of the year. Perhaps you’ll choose to go camping with your friends or just have a bonfire somewhere in town. Either way, some nice cold-weather stouts will be a good addition in any event.

Stouts are dark, thick and full-bodied. You can enjoy them any time of year, but they’re better when the weather is cool and the sky is gray.

People used to lagers and light ales might not know what to think of these dark brews, but expanded horizons bring expanded options.

Stone Brewing Co.:

Coffee Milk Stout

3.5 out of 5.0­

There are many stouts that taste like coffee. Often referred to as breakfast stouts because of their early-morning coffee flavor, these beers can be enjoyed any time of day.

Stone Brewing Co. isn’t known for its stouts, in fact, most of the beers you’ll find with its label are IPAs. Regardless, this brew is quite tasty. It pours with a nice light-brown foam at the top. A drink of this might fool you into thinking you’re drinking an iced coffee from Starbucks but with carbonation.

This beer is very easy to drink. Perhaps it’s because of the nature of its flavor, or the fact it’s only 4.2 percent alcohol by volume. Either way, this beer is a nice diversion if you’re looking to have just a single glass of beer.

High Water Brewing:­

Campfire Stout

4.5 out of 5.0

This incredibly popular beer gets its name from the way it uniquely targets your senses. Make sure you pour this beer into a glass before consuming it. The aroma of the beer smells sweet like marshmallows, and has a chocolatey flavor gives you the overall experience of enjoying s’mores by a campfire.

This beer caters to beer enthusiasts and casual beer drinkers alike. It’s meant to be enjoyed slowly. With every drink you take, you should breathe in through your nose to take in its scent while enjoying the flavor. Each sip is an experience.

High Water puts graham crackers right into the mix while its brewed for the total package. At 6.5 percent ABV, you will enjoy this beer time and time again.

Oskar Blues Brewery:

Ten Fidy

5.0 out of 5.0

This beer is a behemoth. It’s darker and thicker than any of the others previously mentioned. It isn’t for everyone, but many refer to this beer as “world class.”

Generally if you’re ordering this beer in a bar, you’ll be greeted by a shiny black and silver can. Oskar Blues is one of the best brands you’ll find exclusively in cans.

While its flagship beer is Dale’s Pale, a pale ale that mops the floor with household names like Sierra Nevada, Ten Fidy will knock you off your feet.

Weighing in at 10.5 percent ABV, once this beer is poured into a glass, it’s so dark that no daylight shall pass through.

You will know you’re drinking a heavy beer, but its taste of chocolate, caramel and coffee will make it one you appreciate.

It isn’t always easy to find, but sometimes in Fresno you’ll find it on store shelves and in bars. So if you see it available, order it. But make sure you know it’s probably your final beer of the night.