3 states, D.C. to vote on cannabis reforms

Three states and the District of Columbia may pass new marijuana laws come Election Day, a potential second wave of cannabis policy reform following legalization in Colorado and Washington state in 2012.

Cannabis initiatives are on the Nov. 4 ballot in Oregon, Alaska, Florida and Washington, D.C.

While Oregon and Alaska have proposals on the ballot to legalize marijuana possession, production and sales, Washington, D.C., is voting only to allow possession. All legislation would apply to adults 21 and older.

Florida, on the other hand, is voting to legalize medical marijuana, the first southern state to consider such legislation. Twenty-three states and Washington, D.C., already have legislation in place that make the drug legal for medical reasons.

If these new laws pass, how will they affect cannabis legalization efforts in California?

Regardless of results, an initiative to legalize marijuana will be on the California ballot in 2016, said Dr. Dale Gieringer, director of the California chapter of National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws.

“There’s going to be a 2016 ballot initiative in California in any case,” Gieringer said. “Obviously, we hope that some of these state initiatives win, but come hell or high water, we’ll go ahead in 2016.”

If cannabis is legalized in other states, there will be greater pressure on California to do the same, said Fresno State political science professor Dr. Thomas Holyoke.

“This is especially true if no great problems develop in these states, and most especially if sales taxes on cannabis bring in lots of extra revenue for these states,” he said.

In an interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press” in March, Gov. Jerry Brown said he is looking to Colorado and Washington to “show us how it’s going to work.”

“How many people can get stoned and still have a great state or a great nation?” Brown asked. “The world’s pretty dangerous, very competitive. I think we need to stay alert, if not 24 hours a day, more than some of the potheads might be able to put together.”

Marijuana legalization was last on the California ballot in the 2010 midterm elections, an effort Brown was against. Proposition 19 resulted in 53.5 percent of the population voting no to legalization and 46.5 percent voting yes.

Opponents to the proposition included Democratic Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer, as well as then Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Gieringer believes around 10 percent more of the vote would move toward legalization in 2016 since Proposition 19.

“Five percent is a real swing in opinion, and then there’s probably another 5 percent we get by running in a presidential election year, opposed to an off-year election,” Gieringer said.

He attributes the expected swing in opinion due to cannabis being legalized in Colorado and Washington.

Holyoke also said attitudes in California since Proposition 19 have likely changed a “fair amount.”

“Much of the opposition came from older votes, and many of them are no longer with us,” Holyoke said. “Younger voters tend to be more in favor of legalization.”

A nationwide poll conducted by Pew Research Center this month showed 52 percent of those surveyed voting for marijuana to be legal. Forty-five percent voted it should be illegal, and 3 percent were unsure.

In March 2013, a Pew poll showed a majority of Americans favoring legalization for the first time in the organization’s four-decades of polling on the issue. That poll saw 52 percent voting yes to legalization.

Following that poll, Smart Approaches to Marijuana, an interest group opposed to cannabis legalization, said the survey indicated “more than anything, of the careless discussion about legalization currently going on in this country.”

“We owe it to ourselves to have a careful dialogue about the possible downsides of the legalization of marijuana, which includes health care costs, car accidents, mental illness, learning dysfunctions and addiction,” the organization said in an statement.

Yet advocates still face barriers in passing legislation.

“People associate legal cannabis with greater crime,” Holyoke said. “Of course, many argue the opposite, that making it legal will reduce crime associated with it, because making it legal means criminal industries will lose their markets.

“That is something California should be watching other states to see.”

Gieringer said other than the normal difficulties of raising money for a statewide initiative and formulating polling, a 2016 ballot will not be a challenge.

“I’m confident that we’ll have a proposal that will be acceptable to the majority of California voters, and I’m not terribly concerned about opponents,” he said.

Another complicating issue is that marijuana is still illegal under federal law. However, the federal government has yet to intervene in any state legislation that has legalized the drug, as seen when Colorado and Washington passed their laws.

President Barack Obama told ABC News in December 2012 that the federal government has “bigger fish to fry” than state legalization laws.

In August 2013, the Obama administration said it would not challenge the Colorado and Washington laws. Deputy Attorney General James M. Cole said the Justice Department was “committed to using its limited investigative and prosecutorial resource to address the most significant threats in the most effective, consistent and rational way.”

“I think the federal government, whose resources are limited, had better things to do like worrying about really dangerous drugs, as well as problems in Eastern Europe and the Middle East, ” Holyoke said.

“Federal lawmakers can only concentrate on so many things at a time, and cannabis just does not come to the top of the list, or anywhere even close.”

Even if this new wave of cannabis initiatives pass in November, Congress is unlikely to act either way, Holyoke said.

“Congress, which would have to make a new law, is becoming increasingly conservative and is not likely to want to pass new legislation legalizing cannabis in the future,” he said.

However, with Washington, D.C., partially under federal law, Congress is able to override the cannabis legalization Initiative 71 if passed by the council of the District of Columbia.

“A more conservative Congress might be inclined to do just that if D.C. legalizes it,” Holyoke said.

Both Oregon and Alaska have attempted to legalize cannabis in the past.

Oregon voters rejected Measure 80 in 2012, 53.42 percent voting no to legalize marijuana for recreational use, and 46.58 percent voting yes. In Alaska, the cannabis legalization ballot, Measure 2, was defeated in 2004 when 55.7 percent voted no and 44.3 percent voted yes.

$100
$500

$100
$500

• L

Leonor DipidipDec 17, 2014 at 2:58 am

One by one, the states are legalizing the use of medical marijuana. The question is, will California remain its stand or will it go along the flow?

Cristina4JesusOct 29, 2014 at 8:34 am

Floridians should vote NO on Amendment 2, just a ruse to legalize that puts gaping, PERMANENT loopholes into our state constitution. Amend. 2 mimics the disastrous CA law whereby the words “other conditions” means pot for any reason and allows limitless pot shops that sell genetically modified, high THC dope dealer pot. FL voters need to know there is NO reason for Amend. 2 since the Legislature already have five dispensaries coming in 2015. Here is a video that shows why to vote NO on 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF31iSVLYLM

AnonomysNov 5, 2014 at 9:32 pm

They say drug dealers to minipulate you into thinking it means people off the street will be selling it but it would actually be a decpencery selling it your are small brained and a idiot open your eyes they just want you to think that…you fuck tard

• K

knowa1Oct 28, 2014 at 8:15 am

EVERY BODY JUST SHOW UP AND VOTE YES ON 2

CrazyTexanNov 15, 2014 at 12:35 am

Come on Texas! Shiiiit put the fuckin mexicans out of business… pleeaasseee!!!. War on drugs.. finished.. smugglers rofl who needs em. Use the resources for something that actually benefits the people.

Oh the price I would be willing to pay for a pack of marijuana super wide 100s at the corner store. Tax the fuckin shit out of it… they will still smoke it, look at cigarettes, yeah and without the fuckin tumors… aint you seen it? Weed cells fuckin eat cancer!

Car accidents? 1/2 of the people in texas prisons are there for DWI… NOT for driving stoned. Stoned fuckers are more careful and I would much rather ride in a car with a stoner than a fuckin drunk maniac.

Yeah come on texas do it! Or are ya a yella bellied coward. Fuck the mexicans, legalize pot in muthafuckin TEXAS!

Cx StarkOct 28, 2014 at 6:45 am

2016 legalize weed in california! hope they legalize it this year in oregon and alaska! i want to see a day when pot is legal throughout the united states. If pot is made legal i will buy some and go for a nice walk 🙂

• I

ImpactsOct 27, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Oregon Says No to measure 91

Regulating and Taxing Marijuana
    A Little Red Riding Hood Disguise

Oregon voters will again face at the ballot box this November another Little Red Riding Hood disguise marijuana legalization scheme. Measure 91 is known as the Control,
    Regulation, and Taxation of Marijuana and Hemp Act of 2014. Riding on the pretense of regulation, M91 allows unlimited, low tax cash-only marijuana grows and pot shops, with
    unregulated, unlicensed, and untaxed in-home grows, all under the guise that
    the war on drugs has failed, marijuana use is safer, and regulation will rid
    Oregon of black market marijuana.

First, M91 advocates fantasize about regulating marijuana like any other legal business, but marijuana is a federally illegal drug. Under M91 “regulation” means only that unlimited numbers of low tax cash-only marijuana grow sites and pot shops with no required Oregon residency will be licensed by a State Government agency in unrestricted locations by your home, daycare, and preschool.

Second, M91 allows anyone over 21 to have in their home a half pound of dried marijuana, unregulated-unlicensed-untaxed plants (of which can yield from 1 ounce to 10 pounds depending on the growing climate), an ounce of concentrates which may include 95%-100% pure THC, pound of edibles, and a six-pack of tinctures (72 ounces).
    M91 leaves unregulated pesticide and mold testing for marijuana, as well as children protection access requirements, minimizing in-home health and safety standards.
    These quantities of marijuana products not only create illegal access to the drug next to your home and in your rental home, but also provide immediate access to kids, friends, and criminals. In-home grows endanger others because of violent invasion robberies,
    toxic materials, and electrical fires.

Third, it is annoying that the marijuana advocates peddle the mantra that the war on drugs has failed. Have the wars on crime, cancer, aids, poverty, and terrorism also failed? We strive for ideals, being free of these social problems, including being free from drug use. The widely chanted message that marijuana is safer than alcohol ignores the reality that it is not a choice of one or the other. If you were given the choice of
    holding a rattle-snake or a cobra which would you choose? Marijuana and alcohol both have dangerous bites and neither is safe.

It is often touted that the legalization of marijuana will rid the black market of marijuana, when the truth is they are the suppliers of black market marijuana, chillingly trying to make the illegal market a new legal one by using taxing as a blunt instrument of exclusion to a portion of the black market. Demanding through the disguise of the language of regulate, tax, and legalize, the pro-marijuana advocates remind us of the wolf in the story of Little Red Riding Hood.

Just like Little Red Riding Hood when she said to the disguised wolf, “Grandmother, what big ears, eyes, hands, and teeth you have,” Oregon voters should doubtfully speculate by saying to the marijuana advocates “what big lies you tell.” M91 advocates tell voters that they will get rid of the black market, when in essence they are the black market and are deceptively masquerading themselves to innocent landlords hoping to lease building space so that they can grow and sell marijuana without telling them of the risks involved.

Like the wicked wolf, these now illegal drug stores, will dress themselves up with marijuana neon lit building signs and soliciting sidewalk a-frames all with little concern for the impacts that legalizing marijuana will have on our communities. They will lure innocent citizens into believing that they are there to get everyone who has been arrested for marijuana out of prison, to make millions of dollars through taxing marijuana
    for the State, and to keep kids safe, but the truth is, they hope to make a lot of money off of a newly expanded market which will be targeted at young adults. According to the National Family Council there are 19 million people using marijuana, 69.5 million using tobacco, 136 million using alcohol in America. This illustrates that by legalizing a drug and making it is more assessable, it increases a new market of consumption.

The Little Red Riding Hood disguise isn’t working for Oregon voters. In 2012 voters said “NO” to a similar measure to legalize marijuana. The disguise of M91 might sound different in terms of language, but we already know that trying to regulate drug dealers is like trying to set a new highway speed limit. The State puts up the new regulation signs and then expects everyone to drive the limit, knowing that everyone that drives a car has probably broken the speed limit on a daily basis. You cannot regulate an illegal drug.
    What depletes our law enforcement resources are the laws that are created that are virtually impossible to enforce, of which Measure 91 will become. Voters should not buy the lies of the deceitful disguise of Measure 91 and say NO to legalizing marijuana.

• P

psi2u2Oct 28, 2014 at 8:00 am

This editorial is preposterously uninformed and scare-mongering in its rhetoric.

Brian KellyOct 26, 2014 at 10:25 pm

The “War on Marijuana” has been a complete and utter failure. It is the largest component of the broader yet equally unsuccessful “War on Drugs” that has cost our country over a trillion dollars.

Instead of The United States wasting Billions upon Billions more of our tax dollars fighting a never ending “War on Marijuana”, lets generate Billions of dollars, and improve the deficit instead. It’s a no brainer.

The Prohibition of Marijuana has also ruined the lives of many of our loved ones. In numbers greater than any other nation, our loved ones are being sent to jail and are being given permanent criminal records which ruin their chances of employment for the rest of their lives, and for what reason?

Marijuana is way safer to consume than alcohol. Yet do we lock people up for choosing to drink?

Even The President of the United States has used marijuana. Has it hurt his chances at succeeding in life? If he had gotten caught by the police during his college years, he may have very well still been in prison today! Beyond that, he would then be fortunate to even be able to find a minimum wage job that would consider hiring him with a permanent criminal record.Let’s end this hypocrisy now!

The government should never attempt to legislate morality by creating victim-less marijuana “crimes” because it simply does not work and costs the taxpayers a fortune.

Marijuana Legalization Nationwide is an inevitable reality that’s approaching much sooner than prohibitionists think and there is nothing they can do to stop it!

Legalize Nationwide! Support Each and Every Marijuana Legalization Initiative!

Brian KellyOct 26, 2014 at 10:25 pm

In the prohibitionist’s world, anybody who consumes the slightest amount of marijuana responsibly in the privacy of their own homes are “stoners” and “dopers” that need to be incarcerated in order to to protect society.

In their world, any marijuana use equates to marijuana abuse, and it is their God given duty to worry about “saving us all” from the “evils” of marijuana use.

Who are they to tell us we can’t choose marijuana, the safer choice instead of alcohol for relaxation, after a long, hard day, in the privacy of our own homes?

People who use marijuana are smart, honest, hard working, educated, and successful people too, who “follow the law” also.(except for their marijuana consumption under it’s current prohibition of course) .

Not the stereotypical live at home losers prohibitionists make us out to be. We are doctors, lawyers, professors, movie stars, and politicians too.

Several Presidents of The United States themselves, along with Justin Trudeau, Bill Gates, and Carl Sagan have all confessed to their marijuana use. As have a long and extensive list of successful people throughout history at one point or other in their lives.

Although, that doesn’t mean a damned thing to people who will make comments like “dopers” and “stoners” about anybody who uses the slightest amount of Marijuana although it is way safer than alcohol.

To these people any use equals abuse, and that is really ignorant and full of hypocrisy. While our society promotes, glorifies, and advertises alcohol consumption like it’s an All American pastime.

There is nothing worse about relaxing with a little marijuana after a long, hard day, than having a drink or two of alcohol.

So come off those high horses of yours. Who are you to dictate to the rest of society that we can’t enjoy Marijuana, the safer choice over alcohol, in the privacy of our own homes?

We’ve worked real hard our whole lives to provide for our loved ones. We don’t appreciate prohibitionists trying to impose their will and morals upon us all.

Has a marijuana user ever tried to force you to use it? Probably not. So nobody has the right to force us not to either.

Don’t try to impose your morality and “clean living” upon all of us with Draconian Marijuana Laws, and we won’t think you’re such prohibitionist hypocrites.

Brian KellyOct 26, 2014 at 10:26 pm

Fear of Marijuana Legalization Nationwide is unfounded. Not based on any science or fact whatsoever. So please all you prohibitionists, we beg you to give your scare tactics, “Conspiracy Theories” and “Doomsday Scenarios” over the inevitable Legalization of Marijuana a rest. Nobody is buying them anymore these days. Okay?

Furthermore, if all you prohibitionists get when you look into that nice, big and shiny, crystal ball of yours, while wondering about the future of marijuana legalization, is horror, doom, and despair, well then I suggest you return that thing as quickly as possible and reclaim the money you shelled out for it, since it is obviously defective.

The prohibition of marijuana has not decreased the supply nor the demand for marijuana at all. Not one single iota, and it never will. Just a huge and complete waste of our tax dollars to continue criminalizing citizens for choosing a natural, non-toxic, relatively benign plant proven to be much safer than alcohol.

If prohibitionists are going to take it upon themselves to worry about “saving us all” from ourselves, then they need to start with the drug that causes more death and destruction than every other drug in the world COMBINED, which is alcohol!

Why do prohibitionists feel the continued need to vilify and demonize marijuana when they could more wisely focus their efforts on a real, proven killer, alcohol, which again causes more destruction, violence, and death than all other drugs, COMBINED?

Prohibitionists really should get their priorities straight and or practice a little live and let live. They’ll live longer, happier, and healthier, with a lot less stress if they refrain from being bent on trying to control others through Draconian Marijuana Laws.

claygoodingOct 26, 2014 at 8:33 pm

According to the population of TX in comparison to Colorado Texas has 4 times more people than CO.

If Co is averaging selling $4 million in recreational marijuana per month TX is selling $16 million per month on the black market. This is a conservative estimate.

Any questions?

• P

Pueblo PotterJun 23, 2015 at 9:41 am

Yea, why are you not driving to Trinidad Colorado to buy some right now?

http://www.healersfarm.com

claygoodingJul 1, 2015 at 2:34 am

I can grow my own for less than $2 a gram and CO can keep their high priced weed.

• P

Pueblo PotterJul 22, 2015 at 7:24 am

If you are not in Colorado and you are growing you are probably breaking the law. Whereas you could travel to Trinidad and pick up some weed LEGALLY.