University wins diversity award from magazine

In recognition of campus diversity, Fresno State has been awarded the 2014 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity from the magazine “INSIGHT Into Diversity.”

“This recognition is vital to the great work that is being done across the entire university community dedicated to inclusive practices,” said Dr. Cynthia Teniente-Matson, vice president for administration and chief financial officer.

The university, which received the award along with 82 other colleges, will be featured in the magazine’s November 24 issue.

“It shows that Fresno State is headed in the right direction through its sponsorship of programs and initiatives that target underserved groups,” said Dr. De Anna Reese, a professor in the department of history and Africana studies program. “A commitment to diversity shows our ability to engage and respect different perspectives which benefit the entire campus community.”

Teniente-Matson is also chair of the President’s Commission on Human Relations and Equity (PCHRE), a commission focused on supporting diversity, equity and fairness across the campus.

Last year the commission launched ASPIRE, which stands for A Strategic Plan for Inclusion, Respect and Equity.

“The goal is to advance ASPIRE and to be recognized that Fresno State is accepting, welcoming, and fair to the entire university community,” said Teniente-Matson.

”‹She said that diversity does not just include students and it is not limited to racial and ethnic diversity, but rather represents individual and social group differences.