The Shakespeare Festival: 10 years of brining classics to the public

The Shakespeare Festival is celebrating its 10th anniversary at Woodward Park this year with a performance of “The Tempest” by William Shakespeare.

Executive producer Gregory Taber said he is excited to take it into the next decade.

“The main outcome we always hope for is an entertaining performance, for others to spread the word and a successful season,” he says.

Taber said that the festival has been “very successful all 10 years.”

This festival began when Brandon Weis and Eric Day — two local guys who loved theater — came up with the idea of the event which they worked hard to make possible. They have since moved on with their lives, but their creation continues.

This is the third production this year. The first production began with “Macbeth” and the second was “The Taming of the Shrew.”

The Tempest will be performed from Thursday to Saturday each week. The season started Aug. 28 and will be continuing until Sept. 20. Each performance will start at 8 p.m. at the Friant and Fort Washington roads entrance. There will be a $5 fee for vehicle entrance.

General admission is free, but reserved seating is available on a first-come, first-serve basis at a cost of $10 per person. The venue has 100 to 150 reservable seats. Tickets can be purchased online or at the entrance.

People can also bring food and have picnics before and during the performances. Heat is also less of an issue because there is a cool breeze that passes through the area coming off the the San Joaquin River.

The festival is located on a meadow where people can place blankets and lawn chairs on the ground.

For more information on the Shakespeare Festival, go to www.woodwardshakespeare.org. You can also contact Woodward Park for information on parking, the event, or the park’s opening and closing times at (559) 621-2900.