Rec Center averages 1200 per day

Julian Paredes / The Collegian
Julian Paredes / The Collegian

As students settle into another school year, not only are they gearing up to flex their academic muscles, but their physical muscles, as well.

Whether attempting to lead a healthier lifestyle or to lose that dreaded “freshman 15″ there is no more convenient place for Fresno State students to exercise than at the Student Recreation Center, located adjacent to the Save Mart Center.

The Rec Center offers 50 organized group fitness classes per week led by instructors — ranging from Zumba and Pilates Core classes to Cardio KO and Midnight Dance Fusion.

Membership fees for the fall 2014 semester are $53 — $106 yearly — and are built into the price of tuition, similar to the Student Health Center fee.

According to director Derek Walters, “1,186 students visit the Rec Center every day” on average this semester.

“The busiest times are usually 2 to 4 p.m. However, there is always a constant flow of traffic from 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m,” said Davion Baker, a senior majoring in kinesiology who works at the Rec Center.

Despite the consistent flow of gym-goers, students have yet to collectively fill the Rec Center’s capacity of 7,750 — which includes 183 exercise machines.

Roughly 1,217 students bought $30 passes to use the Rec Center this summer.

Ashley Maldonado, a sophomore from Sacramento majoring in biology, was one of those who purchased a summer pass.

“Over the summertime, it’s not as crowded as during the school year, which is fantastic for those like me who live on the treadmill and elliptical machines,” she said.

If escorted by a student or faculty member, guests 18 or older can pay a $10 fee for a day pass.