New VP of student affairs lays out philosophy

Fresno State vice president of student affairs Dr. Frank Lamas spoke about the past, present and future in an interview with The Collegian last week.

Since starting at the university in July, Lamas said he has “tried to listen and learn, before acting.” Yet Lamas, who has more than 30 years’ experience in student affairs — most recently with the University of Texas at Arlington — has also been quick to act.

He challenged faculty members over the summer to help create the FresWow “Welcome Week” program for new incoming freshmen. Lamas said creating a positive atmosphere to promote involvement on campus is one way to improve graduation rates.

“I want students to be successful, and the students who are involved in the university are more likely not only to be retained, but graduate,” he said.

“I know we could do better, and we have had a lot of successful events,” Lamas said, reflecting on the program so far, which started on Aug. 20 and is running until Sept. 24.

Moving forward, Lamas said one of the more challenging issues this year at Fresno State is tackling food insecurity among students. A research study done by a Fresno State professor found that 30 percent of students are food insecure.

President Joseph Castro has since asked Lamas to create some initiatives so students will not have to worry from where their next meal will come.

“[We] just had a kid walk into one of the faculty offices who said he hadn’t eaten in the past few days,” Lamas said.

As for his relationship with the student body, Lamas said he “will continue to get to know them well.”

“[I] hope they see in me that I will always be an advocate for them and someone who will try to do everything possible to give them the best experience possible at the university,” Lamas said.

He said the office of student affairs will work to give students a “transformational experience” by helping them with programs, services and involvement opportunities.

“It doesn’t matter how you get to campus, it matters what you do when you are on campus,” he said. “[I] always wonder, what can we do to make students get that Bulldog Spirit and feel a sense of belonging?”