Much more important than a tan suit

Did you know that President Barack Obama gave a speech wearing a tan suit last week? If you didn’t, you clearly haven’t been on the Internet for a week.

People were busy with a flood of commentary about the color of President Obama’s suit, which was a much different choice of color for him.

However, what people should have been talking about is what the president said during his speech.

There is something a little more important than what color the president’s suit was, and that is what is going on in the Middle East.

The Islamic State, formerly known as ISIS, has been overwhelming the region, sweeping through and taking control.

During his speech, the president reminded us that the airstrikes we’ve levied, and will continue to levy, against the militant group are “limited” and “safe.”

In August, ISIS beheaded an American journalist, James Foley, as “a message to President Obama,” warning him to stop the U.S. airstrikes.

ISIS beheaded another American journalist this week as a “second message to America.”

Before beheading journalist Steven Sotloff, the terrorist said, “Just as your missiles continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people.”

The deaths of these two men is minor compared with the death and destruction ISIS has caused already, and there is no end in sight.

While the president stated that the actions displayed are “barbaric,” he also said, “We don’t have a strategy” in how to deal with this enormous terrorist group.

I don’t expect anyone to have a solution or a plan of action at this point, but the people of the U.S. need to take the situation more seriously.

Obama hinted at a possible military response in Iraq and Syria. Obama hinted at a possible military response in Iraq and Syria. What could this lead to? What could this mean?

War.

ISIS is the new terrorist threat in town, and it is much more powerful, organized and well-funded than its predecessors, like Al-Qaida. We went to war in 2003 over a threat that pales in comparison with this one.

The people of the United States need to stop dwelling on minutia like the color of the president’s suit and begin to realize that ISIS does, in fact, pose a threat to our way of life.

The world is watching, and this could soon become a global conflict much like Hitler’s charge through Europe. Plain and simple, ISIS wants you dead and wants to end our way of life as we know it.

Nobody really wants to face the idea of another war, nor should they. Hopefully it doesn’t get to this point, but war could be our only hope.