Men’s Golf: ‘Dogs finish high at Nick Watney Invite

The Fresno State men’s golf team finished the first annual Nick Watney Invitational at the Sunnyside Country Club on Tuesday in second place.

The 10-team tournament was named after Fresno State alumnus and 10-year PGA professional Nick Watney, who made an appearance at the event.

The University of Pacific took out the tournament with an impressive team score of 26-under (838), followed by the Bulldogs at 6-under (858).

Freshman Justin Avery and senior Neil Bautista led the Bulldogs. Avery finished the tournament in eighth place at 4-under, scoring 69, 71 and 72 for a total score of 212. Bautista finished after a strong first two rounds of golf tied for 17th and shot even, scoring 69, 71 and 77 for a total score of 216.

To complete the tournament, senior Keenan Nelson and sophomore Michael Pugh tied for 23rd. Nelson scored 69, 75, and 74 for a total of 218 at 2-over, and Pugh scoring 75, 73 and 70, also for a total of 218 at 2-over.

Freshman Cody Riecks tied for 29th at 4-over with a total score of 220. Harod Calubid finished in a four-way tie for 19th place in the tournament, scoring a total of 217 at 1-over. Sophomore Russell Takeuchi tied at 29th, scoring a total of 220 at 4-over and junior Troy Sweeney finished the tournament tied for 60th with a total of 243 for 27-over.

The ‘Dogs are on the road for the rest of the season. The next tournament is the Bill Cullum Invite at the Woodranch Country Club in Simi Valley, California, starting Oct. 21.