Fresno State to host Valadao, Renteria congressional debate

On October 4, Fresno State will host the first of four congressional debates in which Congressman David Valadao (R) will face off against challenger Amanda Renteria (D).

The debate will be recorded and aired on Univision at a later date, according to a press release from Renteria’s campaign.

Despite the fact that Fresno isn’t in the 21st Congressional District, the university will be the first debate forum, followed by three that will take place in Bakersfield and aired locally.

Renteria says the goal of these debates is to discuss issues important to California like water and agriculture, education, immigration, seniors, veterans and small business.

“I’m focused on inspiring our kids, protecting our seniors and building for our future. Congressman Valadao has cut education, Medicare and job training,” Renteria said in the press release. “Voters will be able to see that there is a stark contrast between my opponent and I.”

Despite the fact the the district is largely Democrat, with President Barack Obama winning big in the district against Mitt Romney in 2012, Valadao managed to be elected as a Republican.

The June 3 primary election had Valadao and Renteria in the top two, with Valadao garnering 63 percent of the vote and Renteria getting 25.6 percent.

Election Day is November 4, and this is considered one of the most competitive districts.

Before getting her master’s degree from the Harvard School of Business, Renteria got bachelor’s degrees in economics and political science from Stanford.

Valadao attended College of the Sequoias in Visalia and is currently the managing partner for Valadao Dairy.

Both candidates are native to Central California.

Renteria was born in Woodlake, California, while Valadao was born in Hanford.