Fresno State athletics launches app for fans

By Nikki McCabe

A mobile app for the Fresno State athletics department was launched recently for Bulldog sports fans to utilise — especially on game day.

The free mobile app enables fans to access Bulldog data such as information about the university’s sports teams, athletes, rosters, game schedules and game promotions. Other features include ticket purchasing, a link to buy Fresno State merchandise from the online team store, interaction with Fresno State social media accounts and a map that shows you different food and drink options available at various concession stands inside Bulldog Stadium.

Named “Fresno State Athletics,” the app was designed by the company Guidebook, who has provided mobile apps to several other companies such as Google, Facebook and Amazon. The app received 1,500 downloads in its first night and currently has over 3,500 downloads.

Stephen Trembley, director of new media for the athletics department, said it is important for Fresno State athletics to have this app available for its fans.

“We know how much students are using social media networks. We know how much they are using their mobile and tablet devices,” Trembley said. “We expect a very strong and consistent usage, and we are continuing to find ways that we’re communicating with fans and continuing to evolve the app.”

Former Bulldog football punter Andrew Shapiro, who works as an account executive for Guidebook, said the company was happy to partner with Fresno State to create the new gameday app.

Shapiro said this new mobile app is beneficial and easy for anyone to use.

“This is an app that helps everyone access all kinds of information about all of their Fresno State Bulldogs,” he said. “No matter if you are a student, staff member, student-athlete, any kind of fan, this is an easy-to-use app that brings information to your fingertips.”

Although there were other app companies to work with, Trembley said through Shapiro the partnership between Fresno State and Guidebook was a personal one.

“As mobile technology has emerged and evolved over the last five to seven years, we had a lot of great conversations with a lot of different companies that have access to apps and have different web presences that are integrated into the mobile platform,” Trembley said. “After all those conversations, we wanted the app cued into what kind of information and features our fans wanted.

“To be able to work with a former Bulldog student athlete that had that passion and connection, we felt really good about that relationship and what Guidebook has been able to do as a company.”

Shapiro said being a former student-athlete himself, he knows how important fan support is to a team’s success.

“As a player, we thrive off the support from our fans. We play for them,” Shapiro said. “The simple things, like walking on campus and talking to our fellow students, or walking in the mall and being able to connect with our fans, is what keeps us working harder. This app allows fans to learn more about their athletes and even know what they need to at the game.”

Jasmine Hill, a pitcher for Fresno State’s softball team, said she loves the app.

“As a freshman, it’s important to me because it helps me out a lot with the game times and what is coming up on the calendar,” Hill said.