Fresno State defenders Charles Washington (28) and Shannon Edwards (4) take down Nebraska wide receiver Lane Hovey (13) during the Bulldogs’ 55-19 loss to the Huskers at Bulldog Stadium on Saturday. Photo by Darlene Wendels/The Collegian

Football: Fresno State discusses key necessities for next game

Now that the tough stretch of three consecutive Power Five opponents is over, the Bulldogs can take a deep breath and focus on getting their season back on track.

The road to saving their season commences this week, when they host the Southern Utah Thunderbirds (0-3), a Football Championship Subdivision squad.

Bulldogs head coach Tim DeRuyter said in Monday’s press conference that they must clean up a number of things in order to get their first win Saturday.

“There’s a whole list of things we need to work on,” DeRuyter said. “We have to be more assignment-sound all week long. The thing that is difficult is when we get into the flow of the game, the emotion and the adrenaline causes guys to make mistakes. That’s why younger guys make mistakes as opposed to older guys where they’re used to going through those things. That part just comes with experience.

“We have to protect our quarterback better and give him a chance. Defensively, we have to tackle better, be more fundamentally sound and not give up the big play.”

‘Dogs look to eliminate big plays

The ‘Dogs’ tendencies to allow large gains by opposing offenses have been a recurring theme this season.

Teams have taken advantage of Fresno State’s defensive mistakes and, as a result, the ‘Dogs have had at least 50 points put on them in each of the past three games.

Miscommunication and several other factors have contributed to the struggles on the defensive side.

A recent example was in the first two minutes of last week’s contest when the defensive backs let Nebraska wide receiver Jordan Westerkamp run past them for a 70-yard score from quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr.

Huskers’ running back Ameer Abdullah found a running lane in the middle of the defense the following drive and hit it for a 57-yard touchdown run. That put the ‘Dogs down early.

“We’re playing well about 90 percent of the snaps,” DeRuyter said. “You can’t be a consistent defense when you have 10 guys doing something right and one or two guys not filling a gap or not taking a proper angle to the ball or missing a tackle.

“I thought we played harder and more efficiently, but you can’t give up those big plays, especially against talented teams, because they’re going to take advantage of it.”

Quarterback race still neck-and-neck

Quarterback Brandon Connette should be ready to go this week after being sidelined last week against Nebraska with a right hand injury.

With Brian Burrell taking all of the snaps last game, DeRuyter said he was impressed with the way Burrell handled himself against the Cornhuskers.

Just like in the past three games, the offense struggled early but found some identity as the game went on. The highlight play of the game for the Bulldogs came in the third quarter, when Burrell took off for a 66-yard touchdown run on a read-option play.

“I think as he gets more confident doing those types of things and making those reads, he’ll continue to be a weapon for us, and we expect him to be,” DeRuyter said. “But it’s still an open competition between him and Brandon this week.”

Connette saw playing time in each of the Bulldogs’ first two contests in which he accounted for 298 all-purpose yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions.

Senior wideout Greg Watson, who is second on the team in receiving, doesn’t mind who is throwing the football, because they are both capable of leading the offense.

“[As receivers], we work with both quarterbacks on a consistent basis,” Watson said. “They’re both great quarterbacks, and no matter who is in the game, we know we’re going to rock as an offense. We’ll be fine no matter who is in there.”

Smith, Harper look to get team back on track

Just as any team, the Bulldogs will turn to their leaders to get the team’s mentality right before Saturday.

Seniors Derron Smith and Josh Harper were both elected team captains in training camp. Since it is their last year, DeRuyter said he wants to see them go all out and do everything they can to help turn the season around.

“I rely on my upperclassmen a ton,” DeRuyter said. “Every year is different, and every year, you have different leadership. Derron has been a captain now for two years. He’s been an excellent leader for us, and Josh is a first-time captain for us.

“But we challenge all our seniors. [We tell them] this is your senior year. This is the year you’re going to remember.”