Brew Review: Lagunitas Brewing Company

A look at a few of the craft brewery Lagunitas’ offerings

Back in 1995, the Petaluma, California, brewery became one of the first to sell craft beer in large-format bottles. Today it is a standard. But Lagunitas continues to stand out in the 22-ounce crowd.

This is the time to be alive if you’re a craft beer enthusiast. In California, you can’t drunkenly throw a beer bottle without hitting a craft brewery, and it’s glorious.

Why would you want to show up to a party with a case of generic domestic beer like Budweiser, Coors or Pabst Blue Ribbon, when you can bring beer that everyone is sure to love?

Although craft beer tends to be a bit more expensive than your everyday Natural Light, it will almost always be higher in alcohol content, and there is dramatically more variety.

It’s really easy to classify all of these domestic beers as just “beer,” but in craft beer, the vastly different flavors make it so they have to be separated into separate sections. IPAs, stouts, porters, lagers, pale ales, ambers and wheats are just some of the classifications of craft beer. You can expect domestic beers to all taste pretty much the same.

If you take a trip up north to Petaluma, California, you’ll find the amazing Lagunitas Brewing Company.

Lagunitas IPA 4 out of 5

The number-one-selling IPA in California is Lagunitas IPA. If you’re looking to transform into an IPA drinker, this one is a fantastic start.

This beer is a smooth 6.2 percent alcohol by volume, and it’s perfect for a nice daytime session go-to IPA for the night.

Available on tap all over town, this beer can also be found in bombers, six-packs and 12-packs. It’s perfect to bring to a social gathering.

Hop Stoopid 4.5 out of 5

The Hop Stoopid Ale isn’t technically an IPA, but it sure tastes like one. IPAs get their distinctive flavor from the hops they contain, and Hop

Stoopid is hoppy enough to be compared to any of them.

This ale has been dry-hopped, meaning that the hops were added later on in the brewing process, which causes them to keep most or all of their flavor.

It’s only available in bombers, but if you can find it on tap somewhere you should jump on it.

NightTime 4 out of 5

This American black ale is one of Lagunitas’ seasonal brews. Generally it’s only available in summer time, but it will still be on the shelves for a little while longer.

This is a heavy, dark beer that is 8.2 percent ABV. With the slogan “Fear the dark,” do not take this beer lightly. It goes down smooth but will kick your butt if you’re not careful.

It pours black and tastes so good.

One of the benefits of living in California is that there are a lot of awesome breweries around that are really inexpensive; Lagunitas is no exception.
Lagunitas has some great seasonal bombers (24-ounce bottles) to offer. You should really look forward to their Cappuccino Stout in January. Brewed with Petaluma coffee beans, it’s a super delicious beer you should get your hands on. But when it comes down to it, Lagunitas doesn’t have a bad beer to offer.