USC Preview: Q&A with The Daily Trojan

With the first game of the season on the horizon, the Fresno State football team is gearing up for a rematch against the USC Trojans. In preparation for Saturday’s matchup, The Collegian spoke with Will Hanley and Aubrey Kragen, sports editors for The Daily Trojan, about what USC is doing to prepare for the Bulldogs.

TC: A new era is beginning with Steve Sarkisian as head coach. What has he said in regards to changing things up for the USC Trojans football team? What is his main focus moving forward?
DT: Sarkisian and his staff have brought a youthful energy to practices that the Trojans didn’t have under [head coach Lane] Kiffin. He has implemented an up-tempo offense and encourages the team to play through mistakes rather than stopping practice to make sure that every play goes off without a hitch. Sarkisian boasted some of the nation’s top tight ends and running backs while at Washington, so he seems intent on improving USC’s skill positions.

TC: Recently, there is some controversy surrounding Josh Shaw and his story in relation to his injury. Has this been a distraction for the Trojans heading into Week 1 of the season?
DT: I think it has certainly been a distraction, but not one that will have a real effect on the game. Shaw being out with injury will certainly make a difference, but him lying and all of the rumors that are swirling around about him will probably be the last thing on quarterback Cody Kessler’s mind when he steps onto the field on Saturday.

TC: Last year, there was a bit of turmoil for the Trojans, as three different head coaches led the team (counting the postseason as well). How was the team able to adapt to the changes, and is there an expectation of more stability this year with Sarkisian leading the way?
DT: The Trojans became accustomed to playing through adversity last year, and defensive end Leonard Williams said that the coaching changes made the team much closer. Williams also said the coaching staff has been very supportive and open to the players, which I do believe will provide a more stable atmosphere than last year.

TC: What is your overall prediction for the game?
DT: Despite all the distractions, I think the Trojans come out on top. We saw last year how a team can struggle when testing out two quarterbacks and I’m not sure if either Brian Burrell or Brandon Connette will be able to make a big impact in the game on Saturday. Though USC’s secondary will be depleted, the front seven is overpowering and might take over the game.

Final score: USC 31, Fresno State 20