Thomas Boeh reassigned from athletic director to Castro’s primary adviser

Fresno State Athletic Director Thomas Boeh is leaving his position to serve as special assistant to university president Joseph Castro, the university announced Tuesday afternoon.

Boeh, who has served as the school’s athletic director since 2005, will start his new position as Castro’s primary adviser on Aug. 15.

“Thomas has effectively directed our athletics program to successes in the classroom and on the field,” Castro said in a news release. “He has been unwavering in his commitment to our university, our intercollegiate program and our student-athletes. Fresno State has benefitted from his laser focus on student-athletes and dedication to Bulldogs athletics.”

Stephen Robertello, senior associate athletics director for intercollegiate services, and Cynthia Teniente-Matson, CFO, vice president for administration and athletic coporation board chair, have been named co-athletic directors.

Robertello will assume responsibility for daily athletic operations, sports administration and student-athlete services and Teniente-Matson will head facilities and business operations and finances.

The university said it will conduct a national search for a new athletic director immediately.

Under Boeh, Fresno State joined­the Mountain West Conference, the baseball team won the 2008 College World Series, the football team captured consecutive Mountain West titles and lacrosse and swimming and diving were introduced as two new women’s sports.

He was hired in 2005 to take over a department that had faced NCAA violations and Title IX lawsuits.

“After nine years as Director of Athletics at Fresno State, I am very proud of all that we have accomplished.” Boeh said in a release. “Fresno State is a great university and I will look forward to continuing my service in a new capacity, one in which I believe I can contribute in a significant manner.”