Indiana Pacers’ Paul George reacts to dunking against Chicago Bulls’ DJ Augustin in the 1st quarter on Monday, March 24, 2014, in Chicago. George played two seasons at Fresno State before being drafted by the Pacers in 2010. Photo by Scott Strazzante/Chicago Tribune/MCT

Men’s Basketball: Paul George makes waves despite injury

Indiana Pacers' Paul George reacts to dunking against Chicago Bulls' DJ Augustin in the 1st quarter on Monday, March 24, 2014, in Chicago. George played two seasons at Fresno State before being drafted by the Pacers in 2010. Photo by Scott Strazzante/Chicago Tribune/MCT

While leaping into the air, as he is known to do, during a Team USA basketball scrimmage this summer, Paul George suffered one of the most gruesome injuries in recent basketball history: a compound fracture to his tibia and fibula in his right leg.

George, a former Fresno State standout, was experiencing one of the most rapid climbs to stardom in recent NBA history since he was drafted by the Indiana Pacers with the 10th pick in the 2010 NBA Draft. George’s fame and popularity has had an especially positive impact on the Bulldogs basketball program.

George helped sell out the Bulldogs’ 2013 home opener by contributing funds for free ticket vouchers for fans. He has returned to campus several times, making appearances at Fresno State football games and working out with the basketball players. Many students and fans reached out to him by signing a life-sized card of George to send to him shortly after the injury occurred.

“I think anytime you have an ambassador who has experienced the level of success that he’s experienced at that level always helps in terms of recognition,” Fresno State head men’s basketball coach Rodney Terry said. “Having a chance to identify with our program is huge.”

The injury is expected to cause George to miss the entire 2014-15 NBA season, but the rising star is staying relevant on the national scene. He recently made headlines by changing his number from 24 to 13.

He will have to spend a significant amount of time rehabbing this year, but George may have a chance to make another appearance at Fresno State if he has to miss the entire season.

“You never know,” Terry said. “He’s going to have stuff that he’s going to have to do up there on a regular basis. He may have a little bit of time once he reaches a point where he can do a little bit of traveling and get out and about. He may choose to come this way. We would hope so. I know he’s in Southern California quite a bit with family there so hopefully at some point he would probably come back down again.”

George’s fame has helped play a role in bringing more talented players like himself to Fresno State. Bulldog forward Paul Watson was named the Mountain West Freshman of the Year last season. Incoming freshman Isaiah Bailey is considered by recruiting service websites to be the most talented player to play for Fresno State in recent history. Both Watson and Bailey spent their high school summers playing in Southern California for the Compton Magic basketball organization.

“Guys are obviously going to pay attention to what he’s doing, knowing that he played here and had a good career while he was here,” Terry said. “I think it opened a lot of doors for us, probably some doors we probably wouldn’t even be in without him having the kind of success he’s had.”

Paul George will not likely be playing in the NBA this season, but there are at least two other former Bulldogs who will be representing Fresno State in the NBA. Center Greg Smith is set to play for the Dallas Mavericks, and guard Tyler Johnson earned a spot on the Miami Heat since completing his college career in the spring.