FresWOW welcomes in new students

ASI President Moses Menchaca leads volunteers in a walk through the Sierra Madre neighborhood on Saturday / Photo by Darlene Wendels

In an effort to help incoming students make the transition to college, the inaugural FresWOW Weeks Of Welcome campaign officially kicked off Wednesday with a variety of events to engage the campus.

The month-long FresWOW program is an initiative organized by new Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Frank Lamas.

“We want our new students to feel welcomed, comfortable, prepared and a sense of belonging as they start this new chapter of their lives,” Lamas said in a press release.

Planned events include outdoor movies, informational fairs and even a package providing admission and transportation to Fresno State’s opening football game at USC.

During a FresWOW community service project on Saturday morning, Associated Students, Inc. President Moses Menchaca said the aim was to give incoming students a college experience from day one.

“Dr. Lamas realized we didn’t really have much of a welcome week,” Menchaca said. “A lot of students would come for Dog Days and then they’d just be expected to figure out the university.”

About 25 students took part in the community service event that took place in the area of El Dorado Park and the Sierra Madre neighborhood, just west of the Fresno State campus. Working with Bulldog Pantry, 100 community members in need were given a bag of food.

“We’re hoping we can engage them [the students] now so that way they kind of get used to that community service and continue it throughout their Fresno State tenure,” Menchaca said.

Students also saw the FresWOW campaign as a way to meet new people, often an intimidating aspect to those first starting college.

Incoming freshman Jenna Van Fossen was surprised when told FresWOW was only in its first year. Without the program she felt she would “definitely be less engaged.”

“It’s hard coming in and not knowing lots of people, so it’s a good chance to meet other freshman,” Van Fossen said.

Running from Aug. 20—Sept. 24, the full schedule of events can be found at www.fresnostate.edu/welcome-week.