Jamie Foxx and Andrew Garfield star in “The Amazing Spider-Man.” (Niko Tavernise/Columba Pictures/MCT)

Spidey sequel pretty good, but not ‘Amazing’

Rating: B

Jamie Foxx and Andrew Garfield star in "The Amazing Spider-Man." (Niko Tavernise/Columba Pictures/MCT)

My spidey senses are not tingling. They may be a bit fried after the “The Amazing Spider-Man 2,” a reboot sequel, went through the same song and dance of the previous movie.

‘Spider-Man’ is not so amazing, just slightly better.

The sequel starts off a flashback providing some background of Peter Parker’s late parents (played by Campbell Scott and Embeth Davidtz) running off with some intelligence and meeting their demise with Oscorp mercenaries.

The cast returns with Andrew Garfield (Peter Parker/Spider-Man), Emma Stone (Gwen Stacy), Sally Fields (Aunt May) and glimpses of Denis Leary (Captain George Stacy).

After picking up from the first scene of the first ‘Spider-Man,’ providing a reminder of Peter Parker’s struggle of his supposed parent’s abandonment. The heart of the story, however, is the adolescent love of Peter and Gwen, even when it takes a slight backburner when the various battles of Electro (Jamie Foxx), Rhino (Paul Giamatti) come into play.

Director Marc Webb provides the viewer with an adrenaline rush through Spider-Man slinging through New York City. Aside from that, the 3-D production of the film is unnecessary (then again, when is 3D necessary?). Webb successfully gives dazzling action sequences albeit too many””while not allotting enough screen time to the undeniable chemistry Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone have. The script provides enough wit, banter and adorableness between the two to make you want to be their best friend He does set up for what’s ahead of the franchise.

That’s right, ‘Spider-Man’ will not only be back to make a complete trilogy, this sequel provides a glimpse of another ‘Spider-Man’ film that is villain-compacted, featuring the likes of Doctor Octopus, the Vulture and others for the fourth ‘Spider-Man.’

The visuals outright say, “Look, more villains to come!” Throughout the film, we see glimpses of Doc Octopus’ tentacle arms, the Vulture suit and the Man in the Shadows, and the Green Goblin (Dane DeHaan) gives hints of what will presumably be the “Sinister Six” when talking with the Man in the Shadows.

Parker’s inability to uphold his promise to Captain Stacy to keep away from Gwen haunts him throughout the film’s course and provides more inner turmoil after Gwen’s storyline.

Unfortunately, Peter and Gwen’s hopefulness of the relationship goes away quickly when Peter’s worst nightmare comes true and…well, for those who know the comics, you know the key spoiler of the film is Gwen’s storyline, opening the door for Mary Jane to come in later. Shailene Woodley is expected to come back as Mary Jane. Her early entry of Mary was scrapped for this film, it was deemed too soon for her introduction and the plot directed towards tying up Gwen and Peter’s relationship.

It is Aunt May and Peter’s family dynamic that gives the film its unusually grounded feel of reality to what it really is: another standard superhero movie.

It is also Garfield’s ability to pull off the abundance of zippy one-liners and charisma that makes the film feel more true to its comic book form.

Green Goblin’s relationship with Peter is anything but Tobey Maguire and James Franco’s portrayal in the first ‘Spider-Man’ trilogy. DeHaan and Garfield play Harry Osborn and Peter Parker more like two classmates than childhood friends bounded together by the actions of their fathers.

DeHaan plays well the part of the teen looking to be nothing like his father with a temperamental attitude for not getting what he wants: Spider-Man. Both DeHaan and Foxx take admirable efforts in their good guy/bad guy transformations.

This film will provide enough enjoyment, for when “The Amazing Spider-Man 3” swings into theatres. Hopefully by then, Webb’s screenwriters will commit to more story, less convoluted villain introductions and more of Peter Parker going through a journey we have not already seen and heard.