Sigma Chi donates $25,000 to Children’s Hospital

Fresno State’s Sigma Chi chapter donated $25,000 to Children’s Hospital Central California Tuesday after its annual fundraising event Derby Days.

“It’s something we can see firsthand how much of a help and contribution it is to give here in the local community itself,” said Jared Bertoni, a Sigma Chi member.

“Sigma Chi’s been at Fresno State and active since 1952 now, so we do have a rich history within the university but also within the community,” Bertoni said.

With such a history, Bertoni said contributions from alumni are a big factor in their fundraising success.

“One of the biggest ways we donate and raise the philanthropy for the Valley’s children is that we rely a lot on our local alumni within the fraternity and that went to Fresno State,” Bertoni said.

Receiving donations ranging from $50 up to $1,000, Bertoni said this was the main way to generate funds.

As well as reaching out to alumni, money is raised through Derby Days, an event that features both fraternities and sororities coming together in various competitions.

“While at the same time we’re having fun, we’re also raising money for a great cause,” Bertoni said.

The fraternity’s philanthropy efforts this year mean Sigma Chi has now reached the $100,000 mark in its donations to the hospital. Last year, it donated $16,000.

“When you look at $16,000 to $25,000 in just a year, that speaks volumes,” Bertoni said.