Play Raises Awareness Towards Violence Against Women

‘The Vagina Monologues’ performance fundraises for Marjaree Mason Center

By Tori West

Eve Ensler’s award-winning “The Vagina Monologues” once again makes its way to Fresno State at 7 p.m. tonight.

“The Vagina Monologues” has been coming to Fresno State’s campus for about a decade.

The purpose of this year’s performance of “The Vagina Monologues” is to raise money for Fresno State’s Center for Women and Culture and the Marjaree Mason Center, along with raising awareness about violence against women.

Last year more than 5,800 events were held around the world for V-Day, a global activist movement, raising more than 5 million dollars for awareness about violence against women.

Fresno State’s one-night event will feature different monologues, acting and videos, all about the subject of sexual abuse and empowering women.

The women seen during the performances are fellow Fresno State students who auditioned and wanted to get involved.

Senior Maria Lerma said she wanted to get involved with “The Vagina Monologues” since her freshman year, and she is happy that she is finally getting the chance.

“The director and lead Dorothy Kolen asked me if I wanted to help out,” Lerma said. “She’s been driving this whole thing, and she’s been amazing. I have always wanted to help out, and since it is my last semester. I knew I should get involved and help any way that I can.”

For decades, “The Vagina Monologues” has been spreading awareness about sexual violence and abuse against women.

It has had the support of stars throughout the years, including TV host Oprah Winfrey and actress Kerry Washington.

Many of the monologues and performances focus on other aspects to empower women such as being proud of one’s vagina.

The point is to help women from many cultures and different backgrounds express what they generally keep quiet.

Ensler dives into the mystery, humor, pain, power, wisdom, outrage and excitement buried in women’s experiences. Performers of the monologues and acts aim to touch the lives and emotions of all audience members.

This year’s events also benefit One Billion Rising, which is a global call for survivors of sexual violence and their families to feel safe and receive justice when it comes to courthouses, school administration buildings, workplaces, etc.

“The Vagina Monologues” will be performed at North Gym 118, at 7 p.m. tonight.

Tickets are $5 for students, staff and faculty and $10 for general admission.