Derby Days raises money for Children’s Hospital

By Matthew Criswell

The annual Fresno State Derby Days took place from March 18 to March 20, raising nearly $25,000 for Children’s Hospital of Central California in Madera.

Derby Days is an annual fundraising event put on by the Sigma Chi fraternity with the Phi Mu, Kappa Kappa Gamma, Delta Gamma, Delta Zeta and Kappa Alpha Theta sororities participating in the three-day event.

Before the event begins, those participating created an annual advertising book and sold ad spots to various local businesses. The book is created every year and all of the money raised during the event is donated to Children’s Hospital.

This year’s Derby Days hit a milestone of $100,000 donated to the hospital by the Fresno State Sigma Chi chapter. Close to $25,000 was raised during this year’s Derby Days.

The event is not only about philanthropy but also about participating Greek organizations getting together and having fun during the three-day period. There are wall-painting days, skits, a relay race and dances that all of the sororities take part in. One of the main events that lasts during the entire Derby Days is a scavenger hunt for a hat hidden somewhere in Fresno.

Each year, a Derby Daddy is chosen, and his job is to organize the events and help raise money. This year’s Derby Daddy was Sigma Chi member Zachary Worden.

“I had an absolutely amazing experience being this year’s Derby Daddy. I had so much help from the volunteers and judges, and that made the experience so much better,” Worden said.

All of the money raised during the event will be delivered to Children’s Hospital on April 8.