The Fresno State womens basketball team will face Nebraska in the first round of the Lincoln Regional. (McClatchy-Tribune)
MCT
The Fresno State women’s basketball team will face Nebraska in the first round of the Lincoln Regional. (McClatchy-Tribune)

Women’s Basketball: ‘Dogs will head to Los Angeles

The Fresno State women's basketball team will face Nebraska in the first round of the Lincoln Regional. (McClatchy-Tribune)

When it came time for the Fresno State women’s basketball team to learn its fate in the NCAA Tournament, it only took a minute and a half for the crowd at the Josephine Theater to erupt into cheers.

The Bulldogs got what they wanted.

On Saturday, the Bulldogs will head to Los Angeles to play the No. 4 Nebraska Cornhuskers at 1 p.m.

It is the first time the Bulldogs will play an NCAA Tournament game in California since 2010 when they lost to Baylor in Berkeley.

“This is well-deserved,” said Fresno State coach Raegan Pebley, “and good for the Mountain West.”

For Fresno State junior forward Alex Sheedy, this was a mission accomplished.

“I thought to myself, ‘Oh my God, we’re up there right now,’” she said. “Last year’s selection seemed a lot longer, so it was great to see us up there so quickly. I’m really excited.”

It will be the second time this year — out of an eventual three — that the Bulldogs and Cornhuskers will square off. On March 9, the softball teams played each other in the Judi Garman Classic in Cathedral City, Calif. Fresno State won that contest 1-0.

In September, the Fresno State football team will play its home opener against Nebraska at Bulldog Stadium.

The Bulldogs are entering the NCAA Tournament on an 8-game winning streak. They are also looking for their first victory in the Big Dance, as they are 0-6. The Bulldogs lost to No. 6 California 90-76 last year.

Nebraska (25-6, 12-4 Big Ten), ended its season with a victory over Iowa in the Big Ten Championship Game. It is the first conference championship in program history.

The Huskers have made it to the Sweet 16 twice since 1988. They lost the 2010 match to Kentucky 76-67 and last year’s contest to Duke 53-45.

“Nebraska’s Connie Yori is a great coach,” Pebley said. “They have great guard play and post play historically.”

For now, the Bulldogs are excited about their ability to remain close to home in the NCAA Tournament first round.

“I was looking for West Coast or Midwest,” said Fresno State guard Taylor Thompson, “so we can get some support.”

If the Bulldogs win, they will face the winner of Duke and North Carolina State on March 25.