Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer addresses the media on the officer-related shooting near San Bruno Avenue and 4th Street that resulted in the death of a woman. The woman, in her 40s, threatened officers with a kitchen knife.

Woman killed in officer-involved shooting ID’d

Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer addresses the media on the officer-related shooting near San Bruno Avenue and 4th Street west of Fresno State that resulted in the death of a woman in her 40s. The woman, behaving erratically, threatened officers with a kitchen knife.­Ricardo Cano / The Collegian.

The woman shot and killed by Fresno police Friday in an apartment complex west of Fresno State after allegedly threatening two officers with a kitchen knife has been identified as Veronica Carter, 49.

Police received a call from a man about 3:30 p.m. regarding Carter, an ­acquaintance of the man, who was behaving erratically outside his apartment near San Bruno Avenue and 4th Street west of Bulldog Stadium, Fresno Police Chief Jerry Dyer said.

Carter, who did not live in the apartment complex, entered the man’s apartment and police were asked to remove her when they arrived.

Two officers — one armed with a taser, the other a handgun — went inside the apartment and found Carter in the kitchen holding an 8-inch carving knife.

One officer employed a taser after Carter continued to advance toward the officers, and when she did not stop the other officer shot her at least twice, in her lower body and torso, Dyer said.

Carter died at the scene after officers tried to provide first aid and CPR.

“Things can go wrong very quickly,” Dyer said, “especially in this instance where officers made entry into the apartment at the request of the tenant to have her removed and then she suddenly appears armed with a knife.”

The officers were in a “confined area of a living room and did not feel like they had any other option but than to deploy the taser,” Dyer said. “That did not have the effect that they hoped.”

The man, also in his 40s, was believed to be an acquaintance of Carter and was detained by police, Dyer said.

Police had a previous altercation with Carter in February. Her behavior then was similar to Friday’s incident, Dyer said.

It was not confirmed if drugs or alcohol were involved in the incident.