Pro Day Progress

Fresno State alum Derek Carr passes the ball to Isaiah Burse during one of the drills at Pro Day. Photo by Matt Vieira/The Collegian

To Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr, it was “just another workout.”

But this workout happened in the presence of NFL scouts, general managers and a head coach.

Twelve Fresno State alumni showcased their abilities and talents in front of 23 NFL teams Thursday as part of the annual Pro Day event.

Wide receiver Davante Adams participated in the event after his involvement in the NFL Combine. He was also enrolled in a six-week training program at Michael Johnson Performance to build his speed.

“It’s been good and stressful,” Adams said. “It’s been demanding having to wake up every day and do the same thing.

“It’s helped with discipline. That is the type of schedule you’ll have in the National Football League. I never ran track, so with things like the [40-yard dash], it’s helped me out.”

Fresno State alumni David (left) and Derek Carr chat at the end of the Bulldogs' Pro Day workout. Photo by Matt Vieira/The Collegian
Fresno State alumni David (left) and Derek Carr chat at the end of the Bulldogs’ Pro Day workout. Photo by Matt Vieira/The Collegian

Adams, whose goal was to run a 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds, was told he had done so during Thursday’s event. At the NFL Combine, he ran the sprint in 4.5 seconds.

“Just having that feeling that I came out here, knew I wanted to do it and I did it made me feel good,” Adams said.

The athletes performed in various workouts, including the 40-yard dash and high jump. Adams, Isaiah Burse and tight end Marcel Jensen performed a drill where they ran routes and received a pass from Carr.

“We just wanted to come out here and be smooth in our routes, catch everything, tuck the ball and finish,” Burse said.

At the NFL Combine, Burse said, the balls were overthrown. This made the Pro Day drills smoother, as Carr’s­passes­were “right on the money.”

But with both the Combine and Pro Day over, the next day to look forward to is May 8 — Day 1 of the NFL Draft.

“It’s a stepping stool,” Burse said. “As you go up the ladder, you check things off. You have the combine — check. You come out here for Pro Day and want to do well — check. Now it’s a waiting game.

“You enjoy your time with your teammates who are going to the same processes as you.”