Baseball: ‘Dogs downed in Omaha

Fresno State pitcher Jimmy Lambert throws one to the plate during the Bulldogs' loss to New Mexico on March 15. Photo by Matt Vieira/The Collegian
Fresno State pitcher Jimmy Lambert throws one to the plate during the Bulldogs’ loss to New Mexico on March 15. Photo by Matt Vieira/The Collegian

The Fresno State baseball team’s trip to Omaha, Neb., ended with zeroes in the win column as it lost both games to the Creighton University Bluejays.

The series, originally scheduled to be three games, had its second match canceled due to inclement weather.

On Sunday, the Bulldogs and Bluejays resumed play, but an error-filled second inning gave Creighton the series sweep.

In the bottom of the second inning, Creighton first baseman Reagan Fowler singled and advanced to second base on a fielding error. After Brett Murray struck out, Joey Mancuso singled up the middle, but a throwing error by Fresno State pitcher Tim Borst plated Fowler. Ryan Fitzgerald’s single scored Mancuso, but a throwing error at first brought Mitchell home.

All three runs in the frame were unearned, as they were the result of fielding errors.

The Bulldogs struck in the fifth inning when a Jordan Luplow double to left center field scored Chris Mariscal. Creighton answered in the bottom of the frame with a Mike Gerber double that scored Jake Peter.

Fresno State center fielder Brody Russell’s single in the sixth inning scored Manny Argomaniz, but the Bluejays added two — one that was from a wild pitch — to hold off Fresno State and secure the sweep.

In Game 1, the Bulldogs scored in the top of the fourth off a sacrifice fly by left fielder Jake Stone. In the bottom half of the stanza, the Bluejays answered back in similar fashion, a sacrifice fly out by Murray.

Fowler’s single up the middle scored Mike Gerber to give the Bluejays the game-winning run.

The Bulldogs will return home to face the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos Tuesday at 6:35 p.m.