Cesar Chavez celebrated on campus

IMG_0495_web
A memorial was set up near the Cesar Chavez statue in Fresno State’s Peace Garden to commemorate the civil rights and labor leader Wednesday. Julian Paredes / The Collegian

By Roger Muñoz

Despite the rain, Fresno State students gathered at the Peace Garden on Wednesday to celebrate the legacy of Cesar Chavez.

Chavez fought for the rights of farmworkers in a nonviolent fashion by organizing marches, boycotts and hunger strikes. ­Chavez and Delores Huerta co-founded the National Farm Workers Association, which later became United Farm Workers.

The 18th annual Cesar Chavez Celebration is part of National Farmworker Awareness Week, which aims to raise awareness of farmworker struggles. ­The event kicked off with Fresno State’s folkloric student dance group””Los Danzantes de Aztlán.

Raúl Moreno, coordinator of University Migrant Services, said, “The importance of this event is to honor the legacy of Cesar Chavez, which is about serving others.”

Moreno said he hoped the celebration also helps shed light on the struggle of farmworkers and erase misconceptions.

“Number one is awareness of the challenges the farmworkers face today, especially those who are undocumented,” Moreno said. ­“That’s the number one thing that I really hope people come to realize. ­The undocumented farmworkers are not here because they’re criminals. ­They’re here simply because they’re seeking for means of survival for their families.”

Fresno State student Daniela Flores, chair of the event’s planning committee, said 14 student organizations came together to coordinate the event.

“The importance of it is to make students and the public aware that the legacy of Cesar Chavez is still out there, and people are still honoring the work that he did.”

Jose Robles, a junior majoring in business accounting, said he attended the event because he comes from a family of farmworkers.

“I know what Cesar Chavez is about,” Robles said. ­“I come from a family that has farmworkers, and this celebration is to honor him for all his service.”

Mary Castro, wife of Fresno State President Joseph Castro, was the guest speaker for the event. ­Castro spoke about the significance of the Chavez statue in the Peace Garden.

“I love that the statue has Cesar passing on a diploma,” Castro told Wednesday’s crowd. ­“The opportunity for education and respect are things that benefit all of us, ­and I hope each one of you see yourself after you receive your degree as the person standing there holding it out for the next generation.”

Dr. Luz Gonzalez, dean of the College of Social Sciences at Fresno State, recalled the journey of adding the Chavez statue in the Peace Garden. ­Gonzalez said she was determined to get the first life-sized monument of Chavez in the nation.

She, too, spoke about the significance of the Chavez statue.

“We do things today so that 20 years from now the next generation knows who to appreciate and love and follow as role models,” Gonzalez said.

Moreno said Chavez embodies what the Peace Garden represents.

“Cesar Chavez followed the path of Mahatma Gandhi and Martin Luther King,” Romero said. ­“He also believed in nonviolence. ­He was a peaceful man that believed in organizing, and he knew very well that people united can make a big difference without the need for violence.”

The celebration concluded with the Fresno State Mariachi performing “De Colores” (The Colors), as the Chavez monument was adorned with flowers. ­Campus will be closed on Monday to celebrate Cesar Chavez Day, a national holiday.