Softball: ‘Dogs take two of five at Mary Nutter Classic

The Fresno State softball team won two out of five games at the Mary Nutter Classic in Cathedral City, Calif.

Sunday’s matchup against the Tennessee Lady Volunteers ended in a 1-run loss after Tennessee catcher Hannah Akamine reached on an error by third baseman Vonnie Martin, scoring Cheyanne Tarango to win the game in the bottom of the seventh.

Fresno State pitcher Taylor Langdon started the game and threw three innings, allowing four hits and two earned runs. Hannah Harris pitched two innings in relief, then Kiley Shae Aldridge (0-1) threw 38 pitches in the seventh.

Tennessee and Fresno State each scored one run in the first inning before Brenna Moss tripled in a run, and Brooke Ortiz followed with a run-scoring single to give the Bulldogs two in the second stanza.

In the third inning, Martin powered a home run to center field to increase the ‘Dogs’ lead to 3-1.

But the Lady Volunteers bounced back. Shortstop Madison Shipman homered to right-center field in the third, and Bulldog pitcher Hannah Harris allowed a bases-loaded walk to Shipman in the fourth to tie the contest at 3.

Tennessee scored the game-tying run in the fifth when Taylor Koenig batted in Haley Tobler with two outs left in the inning.