Men’s Basketball: ‘Dogs beat Falcons on the road

The Fresno State men’s basketball team captured its second consecutive win Wednesday night at Clune Arena in Colorado Springs, Colo. With the 68-51 victory, the Bulldogs have now swept the Air Force Falcons this season.

Fresno State senior guard Tyler Johnson led the way with 8 of 17 shooting for a game-high 20 points and eight rebounds.

Johnson has put up 20 points or more in seven out of the last nine contests. A majority of Johnson’s points came from behind the arc as he shot 4 of 8 from 3-point range.

“Tyler puts his heart and soul into every game,” Fresno State head coach Rodney Terry said. “He plays extremely hard and he’s a highly competitive kid. He’s been a great leader for us and we look for him to finish out the season leading the way he has all year.”

The ‘Dogs went on an 8-0 run to lead 29-19 at intermission. In the second half, Air Force (9-12, 3-7 Mountain West) got within six points after a Hayden Graham 3-pointer. However, the ‘Dogs crushed the Falcons’ hopes of a comeback by responding with a 10-0 run.

Fresno State also held Air Force scoreless in the last two minutes of the game.

Forward Marek Olesinski was the only Falcon in double figures as he compiled 17 points to go along with his eight boards.

Sophomores Cezar Guerrero and Marvelle Harris were the other Bulldogs in double figures. Guerrero recorded 18 points and four assists, while Harris posted four steals to go along with 12 points and eight rebounds.

“We’ve said that we have to play for 40 minutes and I think our guys are kind of figuring that out right now,” Terry said. “It doesn’t matter if we get out to a good start, bad start … we have to play for 40 minutes in this league.”

The ‘Dogs (10-13, 3-7 MW) return home on Saturday to take on the San Jose State Spartans (6-16, 0-10 MW), tipoff is set for 4 p.m.

For Saturday’s conference matchup, fans are encouraged to wear white as part of a special “whiteout” promotion. Hundreds of white “Dog Terry-tory” T-shirts will be handed out during the game.