Man in critical condition after being hit near Shaw and Cedar avenues

By Jesse Franz & Christopher Livingston

IMG_1528_Web
A Toyota Carolla hit a man who was jaywalking on Cedar Avenue Thursday night, resulting in a five-car pile up. Ā­ Ā­ Ā­ Ā­ Ā­ Ā­ Ā­ Ā­ Ā­ Ā­ Ā­ Ā­ Ā­ Ā­ Ā­ Ā­ Ā­ Ā­ Ā­Julian Paredes / The Collegian

A 53-year-old man is in critical condition after being hit by a vehicle Thursday night while jaywalking near campus on Cedar Avenue near Shaw, the Fresno Police Department said.

Police were dispatched to theĀ­scene at 6:55 p.m., and the man was taken Community Regional Medical Center by ambulance.

The man, the second pedestrian hit while jaywalking this school year, ended up in the southbound turn lane after being hit by a Toyota Corolla while walking westbound toward Popeyes. As of 8:30 p.m. the man was in surgery receiving treatment for head injuries, internal bleeding and a compound fracture to his right arm.

The driver who hit the pedestrian reportedly slammed on the brakes, causing a five-car collision. None of the drivers suffered injuries from the wreck.

The fifth car involved in the accident fled the scene, Fresno Police Lt. Joe Gomez said.

“Independent witnesses, not people in the cars, said that the drivers were going at a normal speed, and the pedestrian just walked out into the road for unknown reasons,” Gomez said.

Cedar Avenue was blocked off between Bulldog Lane and Shaw Avenue for two hours after the accident.