Letter from the president: Student fee increase discussion delayed

A letter from Fresno State President Joseph Castro to the editor:

As you may have heard, there is discussion about a possible future IRA (Instructionally Related Activites) student fee increase dedicated to improving student success and a possible fee increase dedicated to athletics.

After briefing administrators and student and faculty leaders on this idea and receiving feedback — including concerns that a compressed timeline is not desirable — I have decided to move forward with our examination but on a slower timeline than had been contemplated.

I have asked a small group representing Cabinet members, faculty and the Intercollegiate Athletics Department to provide me and the Cabinet with recommendations regarding the proposed fee increases and uses by­May 15. Materials and surveys then will be prepared and we will launch the Alternative Consultation Process in August.

During the fall, we will gather feedback and opinions from all campus constituencies about a possible 2015-16 fee increase. I want this exploration to be careful, consultative and transparent, with ample opportunities for students and student groups, faculty and staff to provide feedback.

No fee amounts have been decided; that is one of the areas that will be examined and determined in coming months, along with descriptions of how the fee revenues will be used to provide services to improve student success and augment athletic experiences for students.

These proposals are consistent with my stated goal of raising the academic and athletic profiles of Fresno State together.

I will provide more information as it comes available.