Kernels of Pop Culture

Getty Images Singer Beyonce performs her “XO”at The BRIT Awards on Wednesday in the United Kingdom.
Getty Images
Singer Beyonce performs her “XO” at The BRIT Awards on Wednesday in the United Kingdom.

Hollywood Casting News

The new reboot of the Marvel Comic series “The Fantastic Four” includes some surprising cast choices.

Miles Teller, Michael B. Jordan, Kate Mara and Jamie Bell are being tapped to play the iconic roles of Reed Richards and Mr. Fantastic, Johnny Storm and The Human Torch, Sue Storm and The Invisible Woman and Ben Grimm and The Thing.

While negotiations are still being handled and the full cast is not yet finalized, Jordan has previously worked with the director of the reboot, Josh Trank, in the film “The Chronicle.”

Teller has recently starred in the film “That Awkward Moment” while Bell is best known for his work in “Billy Elliot” and Mara is currently starring in the hit Netflix series, “House of Cards.”

Fox has scheduled the film’s release for June 19, 2015.

“Fantastic Four” was previously shown on the big screen in 2005 and 2007 and starred Jessica Alba, Ioan Gruffudd, Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis.

The Music Beat

On Thursday, pop singer Rihanna celebrated her 26th birthday among friends in Aspen, Colo.

Although Rihanna has not released any new music of her own this past year, she was featured on Shakira’s “Can’t Remember To Forget You” this past month.

Billy Ray Cyrus hit the charts with his release of “Achy Breaky 2,” a modern take on his 1992 hit “Achy Breaky Heart.”

On Thursday, the updated version made its mark on the Billboard’s Top 100 at number 80.

The song includes some dubstep-infused sounds, remaking the song’s beat and vibe more in the hip-hop genre, in contrast to the country-oriented original.

A Taste of Celebrity Dish

On Wednesday, The BRIT Awards featured a performance from singer Beyoncé, surprising overseas audiences and those who followed the U.K. music awards show at home.

David Bowie, who is known for not appearing in or participating at award shows for decades was honored with the “Best Male Solo Artist” award.

The award was accepted by model Kate Moss who wore one of Bowie’s 1970s alter ego Ziggy Stardust’s costumes.

Actress Megan Fox welcomed her second baby with fellow actor and husband Brian Austin Green on Thursday.

This is the couple’s second son together, joining brother Noah, 16 months, along with Green’s 11-year-old son Kassius from a previous relationship.