Equestrian: ‘Dogs sweep weekend set on Senior Day

The Fresno State equestrian team swept its weekend tournament against the Southern Methodist University Mustangs and the Baylor Bears.

“This is huge for us,” Fresno State coach Eric Hubbard said. “Ecstatic is the best way to put it.”

Coming off of yesterday’s upset over No. 2 Baylor, Hubbard said the team was feeling confident for today’s competition.

“You can never be too confident, though,” he said. “We wanted to take the confidence we had from yesterday, but still ride smart and with focus.”

The Bulldogs beat the Mustangs in both the hunt seat (six points) and western (four points) categories.

The team also earned three of the four Most Outstanding Player awards. Macy Wilson earned the title for her ride in equitation on the flat with a score of 82. Sydney Elliot took the award for horsemanship, and Taylor Brown earned her third MOP award of the season in reining.

“This is it,” Hubbard said. “This was our only home competition, so to have this happen is amazing.”

Before the competition, eight seniors were honored: Belle Calkin, Dayle Fischer, Hannah Flammang, Rio Haack, Whitney Kittle, Sonya Koch, Chelsie Stone and Shauna Woodward.

The `Dogs will hit the road to Brookings, S.D., for a non-conference tournament against South Dakota State University, University of Texas at Martin and Delaware State University.