Castro: Student fee increase talks get longer timeline

Consideration for a plan that would increase student fees at Fresno State by hundreds of dollars for “student success programs” and athletics — costs that could have taken effect as early as the fall 2014 semester — has been delayed.

In a letter to the editor sent to The Collegian, Fresno State President Joseph Castro laid out a new timeline for the proposal, which would now be implemented in fall 2015 at the earliest.

“After briefing administrators and student and faculty leaders on this idea and receiving feedback — including concerns that a compressed timeline is not desirable — I have decided to move forward with our examination but on a slower timeline than had been contemplated,” Castro said.

The student success fee, which would raise tuition costs by somewhere between $50 to $100, aims to increase funding for programs that contribute to a higher graduation rate, such as tutorial services.

While no concrete structure for the athletics fee has yet been made publicly available, it would likely be higher than the student success fee, said interim provost Dr. Andrew Hoff. Currently, Fresno State students pay $92 a semester toward athletics as a built-in part of tuition.

Both fees would be handled through the university’s Instructionally Related Activities Fund (IRA), currently a $132 mandatory cost for students attending the university.

Castro has commissioned a task force to give him recommendations on the fee increases by May 15. In August, he will launch an alternative consultation process, and during the fall semester promises to gather opinions and suggestions from the Fresno State community.

“No fee amounts have been decided; that is one of the areas that will be examined and determined in coming months, along with descriptions of how the fee revenues will be used to provide services to improve student success and augment athletic experiences for students,” Castro said.