Mens Basketball: Bulldogs bust Broncos

Men’s Basketball: Bulldogs bust Broncos

Fresno State sophomore guard Marvelle Harris makes his way toward the bucket during the Bulldogs’ 76-56 victory over the Boise State Broncos. Photo by Katie Eleneke/The Collegian

Fresno State sophomore guard Marvelle Harris scored a game-high 26 points Wednesday night at the Save Mart Center as the Fresno State men’s basketball team handed the Boise State Broncos their most lopsided loss of the season.

The Bulldogs (15-14, 8-8 Mountain West) terminated the Broncos’ (18-10, 8-7 MW) three-game win streak and limited them to 38 percent shooting en route to the 76-56 conference win. This was the second meeting between the two this season. The Broncos won the Jan. 4 meeting 86-79.

“I thought our guys did a great job defensively tonight,” Fresno State head coach Rodney Terry said. “Overall, I think the execution was really good from start to finish.”

Fresno State established a double-digit lead and held it for a majority of the night, its largest being 22 points. Boise State went on a 7-0 run in the second half to cut the ‘Dogs’ lead to 13.

However, Harris and the Bulldogs didn’t let off the gas pedal. They continued to play sound defense and generate the efficiency on offense to pull away. Harris credits his big night to the fluid ball movement from his teammates and the assists they provided.

“I felt good, and my teammates just kept giving me the ball,” Harris said. “They knew I was hot. There was a lot of good ball movement, and I happened to be the open man.”

The Broncos entered the matchup leading the conference in points per game (ppg) with 77.6.

Keys for the Bulldogs were guarding Boise State’s ppg leader Anthony Drmic and keeping physical forward Ryan Watkins away from the rim. They did just that as they held Drmic to two points in the game.

The ‘Dogs used a variety of players to guard Watkins as he was held to just four points and one rebound in the first half.

Other Bulldogs in double figures were seniors Tyler Johnson and Allen Huddleston. Johnson, who was second on the team with 15, shot 4 of 12 from the field and 2 of 4 from behind the arc. Huddleston, on the other hand, sunk 5 of 8 shots for 12 points. Johnson also had seven rebounds, six assists and two steals in the victory.

After starting 1-7 in conference play, the ‘Dogs have bounced back in the latter part of the season by coming out on top in seven of their last eight contests. Terry says that a key to their recent success has to do with Johnson’s leadership.

In several games this season, the ‘Dogs let their leads slip away, enabling their opponents to come back and deliver heartbreaking losses. They remembered those defeats, put all of that behind them and made sure to not let something like that happen in this matchup.

Johnson said that the Bulldogs’ inability to sustain a lead was how they used to play. Now, he said the team has “turned the corner.”

“They’re getting better. They’re working hard, and we’re playing our best basketball of the year right now,” Terry said.

The ‘Dogs will be back on their home court Saturday and look to win three in a row when they take on the No. 13-ranked team and conference-leader San Diego State. Prior to the matchup, Fresno State will be honoring legendary head coach Jerry Tarkanian. Johnson and Huddleston will be recognized for Senior Night.

“I hope to end it on the right note, go out with a bang. There’s no better stage than to do it against the top team in the conference” Johnson said.

“I just want to go out, have fun and enjoy the moment.”