Baseball: ‘Dogs sweep Nevada

Going into the game against Nevada, the Fresno State baseball team had one thing on its mind: win.

And in the sixth inning of Sunday’s game, with the Wolf Pack threatening to prevent a Bulldog sweep, Fresno State freshman Joe Prior stepped up to the plate with the bases loaded, seeking his first college hit.

Prior sprayed the ball in the outfield, getting his first hit and RBI. Then Nevada shortstop Kyle Hunt, trying to get the forceout at third, threw the ball into the Fresno State dugout. That scored two more runs and tied the contest at 5.

Fresno State third baseman Chris Mariscal knocked in a run, a Jordan Luplow single scored two, and the Bulldogs led the contest 9-5.

Nevada added two runs in the eighth inning to come closer to the Bulldogs. In the bottom half of the frame, Fresno State designated hitter Taylor Ward doubled to left-center field, scoring Taylor Woodward.

The win capped off a Fresno State sweep of the Wolf Pack in a rematch of the 2013 Mountain West Tournament matchup.

On Friday, Jordan Brink’s 4-hit performance in 8 1/3 innings led Fresno State to a 4-1 victory. Ward went 1 for 2 and had 2 RBIs.

On Saturday, Jimmy Lambert started his second collegiate game and earned a no decision when he left the game tied in the fourth inning. Fresno State first baseman Kevin Viers broke the 3-3 tie in the seventh inning with a RBI single that scored Taylor Tempel.

The Bulldogs will remain at home and host the Cal State Bakersfield Roadrunners on Wednesday.