Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead at 46

Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, posing with his Oscar for Best Actor in the film "Capote" during the 2006 Academy Awards, has died. He was 46.  Photo courtesy of Michael Goulding/Orange County Register/McClatchy-Tribune
Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, posing with his Oscar for Best Actor in the film “Capote” during the 2006 Academy Awards, has died. He was 46. ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ ­ Photo courtesy of Michael Goulding/Orange County Register/McClatchy-Tribune.­

The Oscar winner, who was known for his versatile film roles and captivating supporting characters died Sunday Feb. 2.

Hoffman was found dead by­screenwriter David Bar Katz­in his Manhattan apartment of an apparent overdose, New York authorities said.

Hoffman’s most recent work was playing Plutarch Heavensbee in the popular series, “The Hunger Games.”

Hoffman was also well known for his work in “Doubt,” “Along Came Polly,” “Cold Mountain,” and many others.

He was also well known as a stage actor and was nominated for a Tony Award in 2012 for the Broadway revival of “Death of a Salesman.”

Hoffman had three children with his longtime partner, costume designer Mimi O’Donnell.

Hoffman’s family issued a statement through his publicist following his death Sunday afternoon.

“We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone. This is a tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers,” Hoffman’s family said.