Fresno State center Jacinta Vandenberg (15) passes the ball to her teammate Bree Farley (5) during the Bulldogs’ home matchup against San Diego State. Farley made a game-winning layup with two seconds remaining during Fresno State’s visit to New Mexico. (Photo by Katie Eleneke/The Collegian)

Women’s Basketball: Farley leads Bulldogs to victory

Fresno State center Jacinta Vandenberg (15) passes the ball to her teammate Bree Farley (5) during the Bulldogs' home matchup against San Diego State. Farley made a game-winning layup with two seconds remaining during Fresno State's visit to New Mexico. (Photo by Katie Eleneke/The Collegian)

With 2.6 seconds left on the clock, Fresno State senior guard Bree Farley made a game-winning layup to give the women’s basketball team a 75-73 victory over the New Mexico Lobos last Saturday.

“The ball found its way into the hands of [Farley],” Fresno State coach Raegan Pebley said. “There are a few players that we are very confident in having the ball in their hands at the end of the game.”

The bucket was two of 16 points for Farley, tied for second-most on the team in the game. Redshirt junior Alex Furr came off the bench and scored a team- (and career-) high 22.

Furr was 6 of 8 from the field while missing only one 3-pointer (4 of 5). In the first half, she scored 14 of the Bulldogs’ 32 points.

“Our bench and collective commitment was huge for us today,” Pebley said.

The victory in the final seconds capped a comeback from the Bulldogs, who were down by four points at the half.

Pebley’s halftime prep talk was productive for Fresno State, as its numbers increased in the second stanza. The team shot 16 of 25 (64 percent), compared with the first half’s 10 of 30 (33.3 percent).

With 17:07 left in the game, the Bulldogs took their first lead of the half, 43-40, and held on to it. With 10 minutes remaining, they had a 14-point advantage — and that’s when the Lobos started some late magic of their own.

Over the next nine minutes, the Lobos outscored the Bulldogs 24-10 and tied the contest at 71 with 1:10 remaining. Fresno State’s Alex Sheedy made a layup to give the visitors the 73-71 lead. But with 20 seconds left, Lobo guard Bryce Owens’ jumper retied the game at 73.

After a 30-second timeout by New Mexico, both teams battled for possession of the ball, ending with Farley’s last-second layup to prevent overtime.

The Bulldogs will remain on the road and travel to Reno, Nev., to visit the Nevada Wolf Pack tonight. Their next home game is on Saturday against UNLV at 2 p.m.