Weekend Wonders

Photo Courtesy of trioellas.com
Photo Courtesy of trioellas.com

Where to go, what to see and what to do

Armenian Song & Dance

Armenian folk singer Hasmik Harutyunyan will hold a workshop about traditional Armenian song and dance.

Harutyunyan has a long career in Armenian dance and music and will not only be teaching folk dances but will also be demonstrating songs from various provinces of Historic Armenia.

For those that participate, it is recommended to bring soft-soled shoes.

The workshop will take place in the South Gymnasium Room 134 from 2-5 p.m. Jan. 31 and participation is free.

The Armenian Students Organization and Armenian Studies Program are co-sponsors for the event; for more information contact the program at (559) 278-2669.

Poetry Reading

The Fresno Poets’ Association and Fresno State’s MFA Program in Creative Writing will hold its first event, the Spring 2014 Reading Series Friday Jan. 31 at 7 p.m.

Barbara Brinson Curiel, an accomplished poet whose works include published poems, manuscript, book and scholarly essays.

Curiel also teaches creative writing, Chicano/Latino and feminist studies and American literature at Humboldt State University.

The reading will take place in the Alice Peters Auditorium (PB 191). Parking is relaxed. The event is free and a reception will follow after the reading.

Contact Jackie Williams for additional information at (559) 278-1569.

Latin Grammy Nominees­Performance

Fresno State Mexican folk dance group Los Danzantes de Aztlan, under direction of Professor Victor Torres, will open for Latin Grammy nominees Trio Ellas.

The concert will also feature singer Krystal Moreno at the Tower Theatre for Performing Arts. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the show starts at 7:30 p.m. Jan. 31.

For tickets and additional information contact the Tower Theatre box office at (559) 485-9050.

Yellow Umbrella Tours

Want to enjoy a different sight of Downtown Fresno?

Then join in on a tour Saturday Feb. 1 at 10 a.m. in front of the Warnor’s Theatre at the corner of Tuolumne and Fulton.

Tours take about an hour and are held first Saturday each month.

Tours are free and make sure to look for the yellow umbrella to meet up with the guide.

For more information contact Downtown Fresno Partnership at (559) 490-9966.