+%28Left+to+Right%29+LaVincha+Wilbon%2C+Nathan+Reed%2C+Devon+Teixeira%2C+Zachary+Contreras+talk+near+their+fraternity%2C+Pi+Kappa+Alpha+table%2C+during+rush+week.
(Left to Right) LaVincha Wilbon, Nathan Reed, Devon Teixeira, Zachary Contreras talk near their fraternity, Pi Kappa Alpha table, during rush week.

Spring recruitment differs for each house

Recruitment week for Fresno State fraternities begins next week, and this semester students planning to join an organization can use a mobile app to access information about fraternities and related recruitment events.

(Left to Right) LaVincha Wilbon, Nathan Reed, Devon Teixeira, Zachary Contreras talk near their fraternity, Pi Kappa Alpha table, during rush week.­Matthew Vieira/ The Collegian

The information is available on the app Guidebook under Fresno State fraternity recruitment. Those interested in participating in recruitment can browse each fraternity, events, social media sites and contact information.

“We wanted the information to be at their fingertips,” said Eddie Dominguez, Greek adviser in Fresno State’s student involvement and student activities office.

All fraternities that are part of the Interfraternity Council will be recruiting Monday through Friday and will begin giving out bids Thursday, Dominguez said.

Some Panhellenic Association sororities began recruiting for the spring semester last week, some will continue recruitment this week and into next week and one didn’t recruit at all.

If sororities reach the quota of 90 members in the fall, they don’t recruit in the spring, Dominguez said. Some members may graduate in December, leaving open spots for the spring.

“We try to maintain the size so the sororities grow together,” Dominguez said.

So far, Delta Gamma recruited eight girls, Delta Zeta recruited six and Phi Mu has four girls and is still recruiting. Kappa Kappa Gamma will begin recruiting next week.

Kappa Alpha Theta met ­the Panhellenic quota during fall recruitment and won’t be participating in recruitment this semester, said Sam Ziolkowski, the recruitment chair for the sorority.

“I was a little bummed about not being able to hold a spring recruitment, but looking at it now, all this means is that we have an amazingly strong sisterhood as of this point,” Ziolkowski said. “Not having a spring recruitment gives me more time to focus on fall recruitment, so I’m very excited for that to roll around.”

Sigma Alpha, which is an associate of the Panhellenic groups, did not recruit this semester, Dominguez said.

For fraternities, spring recruitment can be just as important as fall, Dominguez said.

This spring, each organization is looking for an average number of 20 new members.

“I think its good because every house has an equal chance when it comes to guys and the prospects get to check out every house and maybe fall in love with one they wouldn’t even have considered before,” said Trevor Patrick, IFC president.