Men’s Basketball: ‘Dogs lose fifth in a row

For the second game in a row, the Fresno State men’s basketball team needed more than 20 minutes to get a decision.

And again, it failed to finish.

With 1:53 left in regulation, Freesno State’s Alex Davis made a layup to tie the contest at 66. Afterward, both teams tried to make the game-winning shot, but time expired as Davis’ missed his tip-in attempt.

The Rebels jumped to a 4-point overtime lead before the ‘Dogs tied the contest at 70. Fresno State guard Tyler Johnson connected on a jumper to make it 72-70, then UNLV guard Bryce Dejean-Jones made a 3-pointer to give his team a 1-point lead with one minute remaining.

Two costly Fresno State fouls ended the game, as the Rebels scored two more points off free throws.

It was a game in which Fresno State had a 6-point halftime lead. Guard Cezar Guerrero had a team-high 18 points, and Johnson had eight rebounds. The ‘Dogs shot 13 of 32 in the first half, and then downgraded to 10 of 31 in the second.

It is the fifth consecutive loss for the ‘Dogs. At 1-7 in the conference, they are now in second-to-last place, in front of San Jose State (0-8).

Up next, the ‘Dogs will return home on Wednesday to host the Wyoming Cowboys.